free website stats program Fuse keeps blowing | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuse keeps blowing

sprinklerfitter669

I hope somebody can help.
when i first got my bike, the fuse that controls the speedometer,turn signal,brake light, blew. i changed it and had no problems since.
Today, i was out, and the bike shut off, and i pulled over, and it restarted. I then noticed no speedometer. I pulled over and changed it, and everything was good. About 5 miles later, same thing, bike shut off, and no speedometer, brake lights signals. I changed the fuse again, and when i turned on the ignition, the fuse blew. I changed it agin and it blew immediately.
So, i got home, and i know it has to be a short, i assume, and was hoping somebody has a solution, or what to look for.
Thanks in advance

Probably is a short somewhere, should be fun locating it.

One question, is the fuse that blows the correct size for the application and not downsized by a previous owner possibly?

Excellant point glider made, but you certainly don't want to go in the other direction either... best look up the proper size fuse. If you find the one that is blowing is correctly sized, then start isolating the things that went out. I would check around where wiring goes through gromets to be sure the gromet isn't missing & maybe rubbed a place through the insulation. Also trace the harness itself where run under the tank or pinch places.. Good luck, & try not to get too frustrated. If you have to put the tracing up for awhile & go back to it later. I have had to do that myself when confronted with a tedious task...

Another place you might check is around the bulb sockets & tail light. I know on my Heritage there was a substantial hole around where the harness went to the Brake light from under the fender, which was allowing water to enter when I got caught in the rain. I took the light assembly off, completely dried it, recoated connections with die-electric grease & then sealed around the harness with "Dyna-Mat" (A thick peal back tape) that keeps water from re-entering the light assembly.

Thanks Harry,
fortunately i did not get the bike wet since last year, and already put a couple hundred miles on, with no problems.
i got the seat off and looked around, and do no tsee anything

Thanks Harry,
fortunately i did not get the bike wet since last year, and already put a couple hundred miles on, with no problems.
i got the seat off and looked around, and do no tsee anything

Id be looking at a wireing diagram for common grounds shared by that fuse.You said you havent driven it in the rain.Do you wash it often?

Remove the bulbs from the sockets shared on that fuse and check the contact points carefuly.Im guessing 1 of those sockets is bad.

Keep looking... You might check also inside the headlight as it gets very hot inside there, enough to melt insulation if it gets too close the the bulb. Fender Tip lights can also be the culpret, but I don't think you have those.

Another place to look is under the rear fender. Very common for the harness to come loose and then the tire rubs through it.

I did check under the rear fender, due to riding with a passenger today.
I did ride solo since i had the bike, when the fuse blew the first time. since the no problems, today we go for a ride and it happens, and then kept happening, so i thought maybe with the passenger on?
And i thought it might be something simple:bigsmiley30:

Also, i have not washed with water this year, only back in early april when the dealer did, but has been fine since

Back