free website stats program Fuse keeps blowing | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuse keeps blowing

It depends about the battery, it could be shorting out internally momentarily and causing the stall. The bike needs at the least 9 volts to run and if it falls below that, nothing runs as far as the electronics.

If a wire was shorting out, that could also stall the bike because possibly the main breaker opens up.

So do you recommend i get a new battery first?

If the battery is 2 years old I would charge it and load test it. If the battery is 3 1/2 years old or older, I would just replace it even if it tested good. It does not pay to push a battery to the very end or the last day of it's life unless you enjoy stator replacement jobs.

If the battery is 2 years old I would charge it and load test it. If the battery is 3 1/2 years old or older, I would just replace it even if it tested good. It does not pay to push a battery to the very end or the last day of it's life unless you enjoy stator replacement jobs.

Thanks Hoople,
i was thinking on just replacing it anyways, since i cant find the date,
i just hate spending the money for a battery first, before finding out what would shut off my bike, then when the power came back on it would go out agian?

If it's the original battery, by all means replace it being an 04. Replacement batteries usually have a date stamp tag on them and original batteries don't.

that makes sense, since there is no date on it, the sticker is on there that you can punch the holes out, but they all remain.

Glider in your wisdom, do you think this could be my problem, if not where do think i should start?

Thanks Hoople,
i was thinking on just replacing it anyways, since i cant find the date,
i just hate spending the money for a battery first, before finding out what would shut off my bike, then when the power came back on it would go out agian?

It also sounds like 1 of the auto-reset circuit breakers is possibly bad/ but I don't know if they came on your 2004 model. Wish I had the schematics, I could tell you a lot more. My next move may be the Patented Glider bulb trick. That will at least give you a solid starting point. Right now it sounds like it "could be anything" if you know what I mean.

Do you have the factory service manual.

If the sticker is on there with the punch out's, then it's a replacement battery and not original.

It's difficult to tell with a problem like this one but I may be tempted to do the bulb on the breaker and if that doesn't tell anything, a new battery may be in order.

If you have the exact service manual for your year bike, first thing to do is check & see if the bike has resetting Breaker(s) for the main B+ buss coming from the battery or if it is a Maxi fuse setup..

put the tender on to, and checked it about 1 hr later, and the tender was HOT!, so was the battery, so i disconnected the battery from the bike and hooked

Something is brutally wrong here. I don't own a Tender but I believe those units can detect a bad battery and will not charge them. I am also sure they are current limiting and should not make a battery Hot.

Put the tender on your car battery for an hour and see if it gets hot. If it does, I would say the Tender is toast.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO if the tender is getting hot and the battery had some charge in it, I would say the battery is the problem more than the tender.

well i had the battery checked, and they said it is good. I called the dealer to see about taking it there for them to check it out, and the service guy said it could be a speed sensor. I asked him if that would make the bikes shut off, losing electrical power, and he said yes. He said i would have to trailer it in for them to check it out, But they cant get to it till the end of the month, or first week of Aug.

Anybody agree with their theory of the speed sensor?

Back