free website stats program FN Cheap Cam install | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

FN Cheap Cam install

I think the $200 is for the license unless you are buying the PV; there is no "flash". If you are buying the PV, you have the license by default and he should be charging $300 for the tune as he is not selling you a license. A cam change is about a 4 hour job and, depending on location, shop rate will run at least $75/hour and most will be $90 to $100, so $400 for the cam install is reasonable.

So is $500 to much for the tune? Don't really know the costs. All he told me is that he will re-flash the ECM with the PV and dyno it. I went to the Dynojet website and saw that they sell licensing for shops to use the PV on multiple bikes. So that is all I know and not really sure of how it all works. All my other bikes have been carbureted and have done the tuning myself.

I still don't know who is buying the Power Vision. If you are buying, you will be paying for the tune. In my neck of the woods, a proper tune which will usually take 4 hours and as many as 15-20 pulls (sometimes more) runs $300-$400. If you are not buying the Power Vision, the tuner will usually charge the owner for the license fee plus the cost off the tune. My local tuner bought several licenses with the Power Vision tuner and sells the license for $150 plus $300 for the tune.

I'm not buying the PV so I assume he must be selling me the license. Like I stated, not sure what the process is if the tuner is selling a license for the PV. Maybe you can tell me how he goes about this. I like the fact that I get my bike dialed in and don't have to incur the cost of buying the PV. Obviously the downside of doing it this way is if I need something done I would have to take it back to him or someone else. My thought is take the bike in have him put in the cam set and tune and then I ride off into the sunset ready for riding season. I know me, if I buy the PV I am going to want to mess with it and just not leave good alone.

Tuner is selling you a license; he has purchased several licenses when he purchased the system and has to recover his cost for those licenses. I don't know what the license charge is. The tuners I know, in that situation, charge the customer what the customer would have had to pay for the PV for the license and the tune . The customer is locked into that tuner; can't go to another tuner because the license is "married" to the original purchaser. Not necessarily a bad thing if the tuner is competent. The tuner I go to will tweak a tune and charge for dyno time which will be less than the charge for a full tune. Let us know how the tune goes and post the graph.;)

Tuner is selling you a license; he has purchased several licenses when he purchased the system and has to recover his cost for those licenses. I don't know what the license charge is. The tuners I know, in that situation, charge the customer what the customer would have had to pay for the PV for the license and the tune . The customer is locked into that tuner; can't go to another tuner because the license is "married" to the original purchaser. Not necessarily a bad thing if the tuner is competent. The tuner I go to will tweak a tune and charge for dyno time which will be less than the charge for a full tune. Let us know how the tune goes and post the graph.;)

Thanks for that Dolt. I was on Fuel Moto website and they show a cost of $199 per license. I called Dynojet and talked to them about the licensing, they said the retail on the license is $199. They also told me anyone can buy a license to tune another bike with a PV and that maybe my tuner would be willing to give me a copy of the factory settings and the license. I guess your only worry would be is if your tuner moved or quit offering services. I guess I'm still not sure if once the bike is dialed in that you would have to worry about tuning unless you changed something on the bike. If you install the exhaust/intake/cams and have the tune done that should be it correct?

I guess I'm still not sure if once the bike is dialed in that you would have to worry about tuning unless you changed something on the bike. If you install the exhaust/intake/cams and have the tune done that should be it correct?

I have changed exhaust three times on my 95" '05 FXSTD without a re-tune. Not saying I shouldn't have it tuned but there had been no change in starting, idle, partial or WOT response, so IMHO, not worth a re-tune. I am planning an upgrade from 95" to 98", better heads, more compression, longer cams and larger T/B which will definitely require a tune so I will wait until the upgrade is complete to re-tune.
The tune will not change once the ECM is re-programmed. I would not be concerned about changing exhaust or intake without another visit to the dyno but a cam change, for me, would require at least a couple of pulls on the dyno to tweak the tune for the new cam. Of course, if one was to change intake, exhaust and cams, that would require a re-tune.;)

So I have received most of my parts for my cam change. Also have changed my mind on my cam set. I am now going to buy a set of Andrews 57H and I am going to purchase a PV from FM. The Harley Tech has changed his price for the PV flash to $250 and I can buy the PV from FM for $400. It is really a no-brainer. The tech says he likes the 57H cams better than the SE 255 cams. After cleaning up the set I got last summer I didn't like the condition and found a pit on the face near the top of the lobe which may have been there from the get go but really paid nothing for that SE 255 cam set so I will spend the $210 for the Andrews cams that were actually designed for a stock TC 103. So will be using the Feuling cam change plus kit, http://www.feulingparts.com/product...6 Includes 06 Dyna/Chain Drive Camshafts/2071
the S&S standard lifters, stock pushrods, with the 57H cams, http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites/www.andrewsproducts.com/files/catalog_pdfs/2014-page4.pdf
and the Power Vision. Can't wait, should transform my scoot.

I am now going to buy a set of Andrews 57H and I am going to purchase a PV from FM.

The Andrews 57 cams like static CR at about 10.2:1 to shine; stock compression doesn't get the most out of the 57 cams and the motor will be soft on the bottom at 9.6:1. Much better off with the 255s with stump pulling torque from idle to 4000 rpms; the 57s at 9.6 won't come to life until 3000 plus. If you must change cams, go for the Andrews 48 which will perform similarly to the SE255 but will carry the power out to about 4500rpms.;)

Andrews claims the cams were designed for a stock 103. Everything I have read has stated that, even the reviews on the cams are from owners who put them in stock 103. I am going to buy my PV from FM and they deal mostly with Woods cams and said the 222/555/777 would all work great in my bike. They are about $100 more than the Andrews cams and are actually made buy Andrews. What gives?

Back