free website stats program FN Cheap Cam install | Harley Davidson Forums

FN Cheap Cam install

CHZWIZ

Bought a couple boxes of Harley parts last summer off CL. When I got home with the parts there was a set of CVO 255 cams and pushrods out of the sellers '13 CVO RG. I checked them out and from what I can tell they look perfect. So I want to install them in my '09 FLHTP 103. I need a game plan to follow and don't want to buy parts I don't need but want to do it right and put in the parts that will truly upgrade the motor.

So to install these I know I will need an install kit. Have been looking at the Fuel Moto one with the Torrington bearings. I know I will need a few tools to do the cam change and have found some on amazon. Should I reuse the cam plate and pump or upgrade? If reusing the cam plate do you need to install bushings? I see zippers sells a trick set of tensioners and a Axtell bypass valve. Would this upgrade the stock cam plate? Also figure on using the stock pushrods. Any reason not to? I see the pushrods used in the CVO motor are the same part #'s as the ones in my motor. Do I need to upgrade the valve springs with this cam set? How about the lifters? I hear they are (EDIT) and take forever to pump up. Rocker Lockers yay or nay?

Any advise would be great. I know plenty of questions to answer, hay if they didn't make so (EDIT) parts for these bikes it would be a lot easier to come up with a game plan.

Thanks CHZWIZ

Last edited by a moderator:
So to install these I know I will need an install kit. Have been looking at the Fuel Moto one with the Torrington bearings. I know I will need a few tools to do the cam change and have found some on amazon. Should I reuse the cam plate and pump or upgrade? If reusing the cam plate do you need to install bushings? I see zippers sells a trick set of tensioners and a Axtell bypass valve. Would this upgrade the stock cam plate? Also figure on using the stock pushrods. Any reason not to? I see the pushrods used in the CVO motor are the same part #'s as the ones in my motor. Do I need to upgrade the valve springs with this cam set? How about the lifters? I hear they are (edit) and take forever to pump up. Rocker Lockers yay or nay?

Any advise would be great. I know plenty of questions to answer, hay if they didn't make so many (edit) parts for these bikes it would be a lot easier to come up with a game plan.

Thanks CHZWIZ

The FM install kit is a good idea and a decent price but I did not see a new snap ring for the front cam; you will need one. The OEM cam plate does not need upgrading but I have never been comfortable with running performance cams in the parent material of the cam plate. The early cam plates had outer cam bearings. Only way to avoid that is to replace the cam plate with the SE billet plate; your call. If your tensioners look OK, no need to replace. The Axtell bypass is "nice to have" but not necessary in a cam only upgraded 103" motor. Stock pushrods are fine, just more work. I prefer adjustables to put more preload on the lifter than will stock pushrods which usually results in a quieter valve train; again, your call. No need to upgrade valve springs. I would replace the lifters with a set of S&S standards or most any aftermarket lifter. Slide the rocker shafts out enough to inspect the area of the shaft on the right side where the bolt locks in the rocker shaft. If you see witness marks indicating the shaft is rotating in the support plate, definitely install Rocker Lockers.

You have not mentioned the most important element of the upgrade which is fuel management. You need a good system and a proper dyno tune to get the most out of the upgrade........;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well like I said, want to put the right parts in but not go overboard on the spending. I figured that if I install the rocker lockers I would have to pull the rockers out so why not reuse the OE pushrods. I thought the only reason most used the adjustable pushrods was to save time on their cam install. If you upgrade the lifters do you need to use adjustable pushrods? What about that stock oil pump, is it worthwhile to upgrade?

Well like I said, want to put the right parts in but not go overboard on the spending. I figured that if I install the rocker lockers I would have to pull the rockers out so why not reuse the OE pushrods. I thought the only reason most used the adjustable pushrods was to save time on their cam install. If you upgrade the lifters do you need to use adjustable pushrods? What about that stock oil pump, is it worthwhile to upgrade?

If you are installing Rocker Lockers and want to use OEM pushrods, have at it; no right or wrong there. OEM pushrods are designed to preload the lifter to .100" whether or not that preload is sufficient to remove all lash from the valve train. Adjustables will allow more preload which can quiet down the valve train if lash is the issue. Don't want to upset your plan, so use the OEM pushrods and if the valve train is noisy, you can always cut them out and replace with adjustables........;)

No need to use adjustable pushrods with new lifters. A good quality lifter like S&S standards will help keep the valve train quiet. Stock oil pump is fine; just pay attention if you disassemble so that you get it back together properly. You will also need to "align" the oil pump as part of putting the cam chest back together. If you don't have the factory service manual for your bike, please get it before you start.....:)

Dolt is correct in his statements. I will add that the oil pump and tensioners are the new type from '07 on(IIRC). your part #'s('09) for the cam support plate,tensioners. & oil pump are the same as those for the '13 CVO. I have used the Rocker Lockers from DK customs before and I think they state you can place them without removing the entire rocker assym. Your choice, I chose to remove them anyway for simplicity.
tourbox

Hey tourbox thanks for chiming in. Yeah I think I can pretty much reuse everything. Still wondering about the cam plate though. Doesn't it have bushings that have to be replaced? Or can you just install the cams into the plate and reinstall into motor?

I installed the SE255 cam in my '07 Ultra.
Used the SE High Capacity lifters.
Used the Perfect Fit pushrods, only because I want to eliminate a needed adjustment if it happened on the road. The PF pushrods are lighter and stiffer.
Added the Zippers Dual Piston tensioners. They work nice. Also did a oil pump shim while in there.
New inner/outer cam bearing.
Power Commander 3 fuel management.

Plenty of power but I'll be upgrading my clutch this winter.
I can break the clutch loose in 5th and 6th gear, could never do that before with the stock cam.
Have a Barnett clutch w/heavy duty disk to add.

Now all I need is the return of spring.

Last edited:
Checking part #'s online at ST. Charles HD and it looks like Harley made a change to the cam support plate in '11 which eliminates the bronze bushing for the pinion. I also found that the CVO uses SE lifters instead of the B lifter so other than that all the parts look ditto.

Your cam support plate is the same p/n 25355-06A as the 2016 model. The bushing p/n 25344-99 I would think be the same. But as you stated I didn't see that part for '11-'16., strange. If your bushings (all 3) look good then reuse them.
tourbox

I personally do not like to disturb the top end any more than necessary assuming everything is bueno and not leaking when you start. That is why I favor the adjustable PRs. However, if you have even an oil "wetness" at the gasket seam, then do it now while you are having the bike out of commission anyway. So that mean it is strictly your call about the PRs.

I also like to have the ability to adjust a bit more preload on the lifters, so that is another reason to go with adjustable PRs.

Good luck with your project. Think about recording the progress of the job with pix. It makes for a great story that way and gives folks a better idea of the process.

Cheers and a Happy and Safe New Years,

TQ

Back