free website stats program Drinking and Riding,,do you? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Drinking and Riding,,do you?

Even if I did drink, I wouldn't while riding or driving. The idea of managing "risks" while riding (a concept from the Rider's Edge course) included statistics regarding motorcycle accidents. Almost 50% of motorcycle deaths involve alcohol on one side or the other. That's enough for me to stay away from it and be sharp enough to enjoy the ride in every sense!

I never drink and ride. The old pilot's adage of "24 hours from bottle to throttle" applies to motorcycles too!

The risk of crashing increases by a factor of 5X if the rider has any alcohol in their system, and a factor of 40X if their alcohol level is .05% or greater

Then, if they are in an accident, the table below shows the results (total disastrous outcomes) from the California accident study:

Helmet Use; Alcohol; # Accidents; Disastrous Outcomes # (%)
No Helmet Use; Yes; 83; 25 (30.1%)
Helmet Used; Yes; 20; 3 (15%)
No Helmet Use; No; 439; 35 (8.7%)
Helmet Used; No; 331; 12 (3.6%)

"Disastrous Outcome" in this context means a fatality or a brain injury serious enough to cause lifestyle changes.

Clearly drinking and riding is a major risk factor, and if one chooses to to drink and ride without a helmet and has an accident they are nearly 9 times! as likely to experience a fatality or serious brain injury as having an accident helmeted and sober.

But the risk factors multiply as you add risks. So, if a biker chooses to ride without a helmet with a blood alcohol content above .05%, the cumulative risk factor is 40 x 9. In other words, an unhelmeted modestly impaired rider is 360 times more likely to die or have serious brain injury than is a sober, helmeted rider.

Ride at night, and the risk is tripled or quadrupled again.

So, the most important risk management strategies to be employed (in addition to learning how to ride) are:

1. Never drink and ride!:newsmile059:
2. Always wear a DOT approved helmet!:newsmile059::newsmile059:
3. Avoid riding after dark, if possible. :newsmile059::newsmile059::newsmile059:

Navy NATOPS says 12 hours prior to take off, no alcohol. With a 3 hour brief/prefight time, about 15 hours is about right.
Did my stupid stuff years ago in Taiwan, had the front axle take a big chunk out of my Bell. Helmet saved my bacon that night. Tore up my left arm, but I walked away from it. Drunker'n a skunk - as the saying goes.
Not anymore.
doc

Back