free website stats program Drinking and Riding,,do you? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Drinking and Riding,,do you?

For the most part, I skip the bar scence while riding. I may stop in for one beer now and again but other than that, I just stick to riding!!!

Nope, If we are walking around a bike night and I know we will be there more than an hour I will have a beer but for the other riding it just does not work.

In some states, it's a felony these days. Assuming you have no brush in with the law, remember your reflexes are compromised increasing your chances of having a wreck...remember you gotta watch out for all the other guys on the road, too. And as someone who's been in several accidents; you just don't want to go there.

Drinking and riding...you have everything to lose and NOTHING to gain. I'd rather just ride.

I have, to excess, in the 70's. Rode my bike when I couldn't hardly stand up. Not proud of it. After VietNam I just didn't give a care. As I got older and had children I valued my life and others life's more. Now I wouldn't consider it. But hey, I am almost 62 so my perspective is changed by time and experience.

I suspect this post isn't honestly answered or answered at all by those that do drink and drive. I had a retail store over a bar and every night in the summer the place would fill up with bikers, who after hours would leave loudly and with too much speed. What the heck were they doing, Just playing pool? There is a lot of drinking and driving, both in cages and on bikes. Too often someone gets killed before a lesson is learned.

I am thankful that I got the time to learn without killing myself or some one else.

from reading the answers in this thread there seems to be 2 distinct definitions of "Drinking and Driving". The first seems to be getting falling down stupid and driving which may have been fun at 20 but if you survived to your elder years you should know better.

The other is having 2 or 3 drinks over a 4 or 5 hour period of time with your friends in a social atmosphere. When I am in the states yes I do do this one. Not on any regular basis but if we get the urge I see no harm in it. Are you at least a little impaired even if you are under the leagal limit? Probably. Riding a bike or just leaving your house there are certain risk factors you have to be comfortable with to do it. But life itself is a risk and avoiding things you enjoy like a couple beers with some friends seems to me at least not worth the extra safety lvl of not doing it, please notice I said a couple not a 6 pack,. Like many things I've read on this forum it comes down to personal choice there is no right or wrong answer unless your talking about getting falling down drunk and then trying to operate anything which is stupid, wrong, and illeagal to boot. JMO

Flash

Wow is this thread a potential can of worms.....

I've had to clean up the results of some nasty impaired driving accidents over the years and I don't have much patience for drunken idiots (driving or otherwise).

That being said, I don't have much time for the condescending "Holier than Thou" crowd either. If you dont want to drink alcohol, good for you but get off your soap box and spare me the sermon...

Like most things in life, moderation is the key and it never hurts to throw in a bit of common sense for good measure.

If one or two is never enough, you should probably stick to soda or wait till after you get home cause a motorcycle is not very forgiving.....:cheers!

Back