free website stats program "Death Wobble" in the news | Harley Davidson Forums

"Death Wobble" in the news

MigAZ

KPHO-5 here in the Phoenix area will be doing a story on the dreaded wobble that has been reported on HD bikes. Sure enough, they follow behind a biker negotiating a sweeping turn when the beast starts wobbling, then "stay tuned tonight".

Since I own one, I'll check it out, but chances are you can watch it via the web after they run the story. I'll post later if that's the case.

Wonder if the news people will answer any of the questions I have flying around in my head right now. 1.Since it is almost impossible to know when the wobble will start how did they know to follow this bike? 2.Did someone contact them with a bike with this problem and if so was the bike taken to a qualified dealer to make sure the bike was within HD specs.? 3.Did the rider have to exceed the speed limit for the area? I would think if they single out HD they are looking for a lawsuit.

It will be interesting to see what the TV people report since they will sell their souls for a hot story...:bigsmiley21:

Wonder if the news people will answer any of the questions I have flying around in my head right now. 1.Since it is almost impossible to know when the wobble will start how did they know to follow this bike? 2.Did someone contact them with a bike with this problem and if so was the bike taken to a qualified dealer to make sure the bike was within HD specs.? 3.Did the rider have to exceed the speed limit for the area? I would think if they single out HD they are looking for a lawsuit.

No telling since I just caught the trailer to the news clip. That being said, my has wobbled, but I'm learning to drive through it. As an mechanical engineer, it's symbolic to a vibrational resonance occurring at a certain frequency. I get it and at times anticipate it. That being said, I know how to drive through it...so far.

I love my bike. Won't give it up right now. You'd have to pry my dead hands off of it, but I want everyone to know it's a real anomaly. Use the information how you see fit. Also, as we here at HDTimeline know here, it's been clearly documented.

News you can use or lose...:newsmile040:

This will be interesting to see The MOCO response, IMO it will be something frame and engine isolator related. I did not see this problem on my 92 FLHS or 97 FLHT

My 2008 will do it under extreme situations. The trick is to ride it out and do not apply brakes or change throttle abruptly. It has been doing it since day one and is not very unnerving.
As MigAZ stated: "As an mechanical engineer, it's symbolic to a vibrational resonance occurring at a certain frequency. I get it and at times anticipate it. That being said, I know how to drive through it...so far."
I completely agree, and when making abrupt changes, I believe, that all the factors involved in causing concern while cornering mostly due to higher speed is what results in a crash...

Well, I did not like the feeling on my '03 UC. I found it very unnerving to have that slight wobbling feeling on large radius high speed turns. Right was worse then left on my bike.

But the Trackula upgrade from True Track has solved all that for me. I am a strong believer in any of the "missing link" type systems. Gonna put one on the Dyna when I redo it. WRT the Dyna, it has no link on the front of the engine like the touring bike does. Only on the top between the heads.

TQ

confused on this one,is this peculiar to any one model?I've never experienced anything like this,and I've ridden my dyna wide glide at speeds up to 98 mph(stupid I know,but sometimes .......anyway,I was trying to keep up with my buddy so's I didnt get lost.)

confused on this one,is this peculiar to any one model?I've never experienced anything like this,and I've ridden my dyna wide glide at speeds up to 98 mph(stupid I know,but sometimes .......anyway,I was trying to keep up with my buddy so's I didnt get lost.)

I never felt it on my '91 Dyna, but definitely did on the bagger.

But just thinking about how these bikes rubber mounted bikes are designed, there is a potential flex point created by the isolators that can allow the rear wheel to change tracking planes. Don't have this on the softails. Not everyone has this problem even with the same model and year. Or maybe they just don't notice it. But those that have experienced it know what your talking about when the subject comes up. Kinda scary.

Here is some of the logic (granted this is marketing stuff!):

True-Track About Us

So when I redo the Dyna, it will end up with three links - front, top (already there) and back. Ultra now has three.

TQ

Usually the touring family... Mostly the Electra Glide.
Please do not try to catch up to friend riding like that. 2 things: If gas in tank your never lost and always ride you own ride for it will BITE you some day riding like that......:nosad:newsmile071:

Back