free website stats program "Death Wobble" in the news | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Death Wobble" in the news

MoCo's official stand on this in all the law suits I've read about is that it is attributed to rider error and too high a speed for riding conditions.

It has worked well for them so far so I doubt they will change their story.

In this situation it is stated that the rider has already settled with his insurance company. That has probably happened because either his attorney or the insurance company has consulted him that he does not have a leg to stand on. If there were any mods done to bike especially in the wheel or suspension department that was not a H.D. product then the MOCO would have no responsibility.

I could see a wobble never happening before, and then while doing 80 mph in a turn the bike wobbles out of control because just maybe this was the very first time he took the bike to 80mph.

But this is not the case. Jerry said it happened at 25 mph. So to me he must have experienced some form of "controllable" wobble before & during the years he owned this bike. But he figured it's no big deal and heard some HD's do it so he discarded the problem until this time when it got away from him.

I don't buy it, the frame isn't going to flex bad enough to get the wobble at 25 mph, something else was wrong with his bike or he was going a whole lot faster than what he said... Just doesn't add up...

I am agreeing with you. It just does not add up. I don't buy the fact he was going 25 mph either. But lets say he was going 25 mph because I sure was not there to see it.. then in which case I feel he had other early warning signs from months earlier that he just ignored.

I have an 06' RG and have been following this issue for awhile.

I have on several occassions experienced a wobble similar to what we saw in the video, only in a turn. For me I was able to cure the problem by increasing the PSI in the rear shocks. I stay between 20-30 and never have had this problem again.

I have tried to duplicate it with the increased psi and could not. Only because when it did happen it scares you to death. My problem may not be related to what others experience but it worked for me. (rear end on my bike is stock)

My 2000 Road King would occassionaly wobble in a turn at higher speeds, and it did not matter if I was riding one up or two. It's related to speed....My 2010 FLHTK has not wobbled and I have taken some pretty aggressive turns.

This is not just a HD problem. I'm a retired motor officer, my first police bike back in 1982 was a Kawasaki police 1000. I was in a high speed chase on the freeway at 101 mph when my bike went into a wobble. I got off the throttle easy and kept my posture straight as I could until I came out of the wobble at about 80. Needless to say I left the guy go..lol !

I still like the Harley, not only for police work but for pleasure riding.....nothing like it!

I noticed it a few weeks back when I cranked it up to pass a semi, it started about 95. I eased off the throttle a bit & it went away. My XJ used to do it a lot worse. My Ultra is a 99 with 86000 miles on it & I noticed that one of my forks is leaking.

Toby

I am agreeing with you. It just does not add up. I don't buy the fact he was going 25 mph either. But lets say he was going 25 mph because I sure was not there to see it.. then in which case I feel he had other early warning signs from months earlier that he just ignored.

i am with you two on this, just doesnt make sense in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed it a few weeks back when I cranked it up to pass a semi, it started about 95. I eased off the throttle a bit & it went away. My XJ used to do it a lot worse. My Ultra is a 99 with 86000 miles on it & I noticed that one of my forks is leaking.

Toby

I have never experienced "The Wobble" before and I hope I never do. I have installed a Tru-Track just to be pro-active against such an event on my rubber mounted Dyna frame. But if I ever did have a Wobble experience and lived to tell about it, my new purpose in life would be focused on eliminating it... Period.

Having a bike (1999) that has some age on it, I would be replacing the rear fork bushings to an aftermarket improvement (Pro-glide ?) and changing out any links and rubber related mounts.

I think Jerry from the movie had several early warning wake up calls and dismissed them.
How far can you push Lady Luck.?

First off, thanks to the gentleman for following up with the link to the article. I've been sick as a dog since initiating the post.

I've experienced the wobble one time riding in a stiff wind and exceeding the limit. So, in retrospect, I probably wouldn't have a leg to stand on had something happened. However, it didn't wobble excessively and it was not anything that frightened me. It did serve to put me on notice, though.

I have seen it in sweepers, but again it has been mild. I noticed if you go into the turn by leaning into the sweeper to start negotiating the turn, then follow through by pushing the bar the opposite way, it dampens the wobble out. I don't know if I explained this clearly or in an understandable way, but maybe some of you have attempted this with success.

I will say that I don't get crazy on turns like I did on the straightaway that one day. This bike is new to me (since Sept '10), and I'm getting to understand it's limits.

That said, it's a Harley. If I wanted to go over 90 mph, I feel I should go out and get a crotch rocket, which isn't going to happen in my remaining lifetime on this earth.

Good exchange, guys!

I have never experienced the dreaded "death wobble" and I ride harder then most,but I am a firm beliver in making sure my tire pressure is proper,swing arm bushings are in good shape,air is adjusted properly in the rear shocks and the fork bearings are torqued tight and greased.

There you go. I don't know the gentleman in the video, but there are too many riders out there that only check those things once a year or less.

I have experienced a very slight wobble at times but it only happens at high speeds 70mph+ on sweepers. If I'm riding easy or dragging the boards there seems to be enough tension in the chassis that it doesn't happen.

If the rider experienced a wobble bad enough to cause a crash at 25mph as stated in the video, road debris, equipment malfunction or rider error would be the only answer. It seems that the media will latch onto any excuse to beat up a major manufacturer. Just look at Audi or Toyota unintended acceleration, neither of which could be proven. They will go to any length to get a headline.

Back