free website stats program "Death Wobble" in the news | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Death Wobble" in the news

Ok,
This may not be the right place for this but here it goes anyway....

I have heard about and read a lot of articles on the "Death Wobble". From most of what I am reading the Wobble seems to appear mostly at high speeds around corners.... makes me wonder. I do not believe that these 750 - 800 lb pieces of American Iron were designed for that type of riding environment. The heavier the ride the harder it is to bring back under control.

For me I think that as a rider you not only have to respect the Iron you are sitting on, you have to respect the road and environment you are riding in. Slow down a little and enjoy the ride, life is to short already so lets enjoy what we have ahead of us.

Is the wobble only the older baggers? Maybe that is why HD stiffened up the frame and swingarm in 09.

Thats the theory why for the stiffening frame for 2009 and up. My 2008 will do it from time to time if I am really pushing the corners...

I have a 97 Ultra and I used to get the wobble in long sweepers at elevated speeds, so I replaced swing arm bushings, front motor mount and top link and added the missing link to the bike. It got the whole thing under control, right up until that car decided to turn left. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to fix stupid.

I'm guessing on the new touring family bikes this has been corrected. I have no problems like that on my 2011 FLHTK that I have experience yet. And hope I never do.

Back