free website stats program "Death Wobble" in the news | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Death Wobble" in the news

I've read so many articles on this and have experienced it first hand. If you've never gone through it it is a hard one to explain. To tell someone how to ride it out is great but untill it happens I still think your reactions will dictate the outcome. There are several devices on the market that claim to eliminate the problem. I have installed the TWR system and I have had no further problems, others have used different systems and have said the same thing, no more wobble. We have gotten away from the original thread subject which was a TV station doing a report on the wobble, and I still would like to see how the test was done. What conditions, road/speed/bike condition/rider ability.

It will be interesting to see what the TV people report since they will sell their souls for a hot story...:bigsmiley21:

This will be interesting to see The MOCO response, IMO it will be something frame and engine isolator related. I did not see this problem on my 92 FLHS or 97 FLHT

I believe this is related to the article, if you don't twant to wait till tonight, and in the article is the MOCO response as well.

Some Harley Motorcycles Plagued By 'Death Wobble' - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

In regards to that article I have never experienced any type of wobble unless traveling 25-35 mph over the posted speed limit going around a corner. I suspect that if only going 25-35 mph that a mechanical fault must have ensued. My question is how bad could the "wobble" be to cause a crash when traveling at 25-35 mph? Especially when the photo appears to be a 2009 King or newer and the frame update was to cure this concern. The guys very lucky to have survived the crash let alone trying to pin the blame on Harley.... It just does not add up for me.

I also thought that the article really raises a few more questions than it answers. I just thought that with some people interested in it that i would post the link for those interested.

My 08 EGC also does this but it seems to only happen in a right hand curve around 70 mph. Any ideas on a fix. Also only seems to happen when I'm 1 up.

Buell's stuff:

Motorcycle chassis with uniplanar motor vibration isolation - Patent # 4776423 - PatentGenius

Motorcycle engine and transmission mounting system - Patent # 6213240 - PatentGenius

TQ

My 08 EGC also does this but it seems to only happen in a right hand curve around 70 mph. Any ideas on a fix. Also only seems to happen when I'm 1 up.

Any of the "missing link" type systems have helped some riders that have had wobble problems. It is worth going through all the other potential contributors to the problem and eliminating them (neck bearings preload, tire pressure, alignment, loading, tire wear, etc.).

TQ

Last edited:
This will be interesting to see The MOCO response, IMO it will be something frame and engine isolator related. I did not see this problem on my 92 FLHS or 97 FLHT

MoCo's official stand on this in all the law suits I've read about is that it is attributed to rider error and too high a speed for riding conditions.

It has worked well for them so far so I doubt they will change their story.

Never experienced this condition on my 99 road king or any other bike. Just another thing to look out for on the road. Maybe doing close to the speed limit is a good idea.

This death wobble is not new, I experienced it on my 77 electra glide, in the 80s the CHP kaw was doing the same thing, the goldwing's are doing the same thing right now we hear more about the Harley because there are more of them on the road. Have not felt it on my 2010 FLHTK and hope I don't it's a helpless feeling or worse.

Back