free website stats program crushed 09 street glide | Harley Davidson Forums

crushed 09 street glide

looking for info, october past i was rear ended on my 09 street glide @ 30mph by a suv. i flew one way and the bike traveled 30 feet down the road on the engine guard, 10k plus damage including the rear bolt on section of the frame. so far the bike is not a write off, the insurance company and the only harley dealer within several thousand miles want to repair - here lies the problem they arn't willing to check the front section of frame, transmission or anything else to determine if anything other than cosmetic damage is done. the only way insurance will consider inspection to the front section of frame or any other non visable damage is if i can provide documentation such as a written guideline for damage inspection, so far no luck, please, any help will be very much app.
thanks in advance,
live to ride

IMO it should be the responsibility of the shop doing the repair to verify the integrity of the rest of the machine before signing off on it for liability purposes. Press that issue with them and see what they answer if they will guaranty the integrity of the machine once the repairs are done to be safe and straight.

smitty901 and glider, from what i understand from talking to a non hd bike shop is that the shop either doesn't get paid or paid very little to do a estimate of repair so they do a visual and put in a ''subject to hidden damage'' clause. therefore if they get the job and they are half way through the repair and discover more damage they will get covered, they make alot more money on repair of this kind than sale of a new bike, plus if they miss something after the job is complete they can rebill insurance or cover it under warranty ie. transmission. this is why i am looking for documentation as to a ''proper'' check list, if more damage is discovered before the job is started they might write it off.

live to ride

It's called a supplement when they submit more after the fact and they should be able to do it if they discover more damage after the initial estimate.

I take it that you have access to the bike.Take a magnifying glass and a camera with a good zoom (prefferably optical and not digital) inspect the frame and neck as well as any other areas you are concerned about.If the material is stressed you will see it with the magnifying glass.It really isn't hard to see.I.E. Paint pulling,the lines in the alluminum not being straight.Then document it with the camera and present that to the insurance

Sorry guys, forgot to tell you i am in Canada, insurance is a little different, this bike is $27500.00 plus 13% tax so i am not quite to the 50% - 60% write off area. Imo this is where they want to keep me, if other areas were checked for, and showed damage such as the trans or frame #1 the bike would be a write off or # 2 at least i could feel comfortable in the fact everything did check out ok. I do have a lawyer as i was, and still am injured, he tells me the law here is their choice to repair or replace. Btw the Harley shop owner is fine to deal with, just a little head strong imo, he tells me this is the new super frame on the o9 and you can drop it off a 3 stoty bldg. and it wouldn't get hurt, well the back section is twisted so the front MAY be damaged as well, hey lets face it the titantic was unsinkable. The problem with inspecting the frame is the fairing, gas tank and everything from the rear of the seat forward is still on the bike, including the scuffed engine guard [ don't know if it is twisted ] and the undamaged fuel tank. Guys we all know this is a huge pile of (EDITED) by the insurance company but the adjuster tells me that my opinion as opposed to the shops report doesn't hold any weight unless i can put in their hands a written guideline or checklist to follow for a 09 streetglide [because of the new frame] for a bike being rear ended from a hd certified repair shop . If anyone out there works in, or has a contact at a harley shop that could provide me with such a guideline, and/or any other suggestions it would be very very much appreciated
once again thank you
live to ride

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

smitty901 and glider, from what i understand from talking to a non hd bike shop is that the shop either doesn't get paid or paid very little to do a estimate of repair so they do a visual and put in a ''subject to hidden damage'' clause. therefore if they get the job and they are half way through the repair and discover more damage they will get covered, they make alot more money on repair of this kind than sale of a new bike, plus if they miss something after the job is complete they can rebill insurance or cover it under warranty ie. transmission. this is why i am looking for documentation as to a ''proper'' check list, if more damage is discovered before the job is started they might write it off.
live to ride

There are a lot of shops out there that work this way. It is also correct that motorcycle shops get paid to write an estimate, and it isn't very much.

You might consider setting up a meeting with yourself, your attorney, the shop, and the insurance adjuster, to review the damages on the bike and your concerns about hidden damage. You might have to pay some tear-down expenses to get the skins off and see the front frame, but it could be well worth the money down the line. This would also provide you with "peace of mind" by knowing everyone is on the same page and comparing "apples to apples".

Sorry guys, forgot to tell you i am in Canada, insurance is a little different, this bike is $27500.00 plus 13% tax so i am not quite to the 50% - 60% write off area. Imo this is where they want to keep me, if other areas were checked for, and showed damage such as the trans or frame #1 the bike would be a write off or # 2 at least i could feel comfortable in the fact everything did check out ok. I do have a lawyer as i was, and still am injured, he tells me the law here is their choice to repair or replace. Btw the Harley shop owner is fine to deal with, just a little head strong imo, he tells me this is the new super frame on the o9 and you can drop it off a 3 stoty bldg. and it wouldn't get hurt, well the back section is twisted so the front MAY be damaged as well, hey lets face it the titantic was unsinkable. The problem with inspecting the frame is the fairing, gas tank and everything from the rear of the seat forward is still on the bike, including the scuffed engine guard [ don't know if it is twisted ] and the undamaged fuel tank. Guys we all know this is a huge pile of (EDITED) by the insurance company but the adjuster tells me that my opinion as opposed to the shops report doesn't hold any weight unless i can put in their hands a written guideline or checklist to follow for a 09 streetglide [because of the new frame] for a bike being rear ended from a hd certified repair shop . If anyone out there works in, or has a contact at a harley shop that could provide me with such a guideline, and/or any other suggestions it would be very very much appreciated
once again thank you
live to ride

I have a couple of thoughts on this although I am not sure of Canadian insurance law.In the states there are laws in place to protect consumers from the giant insurance companies as well as greedy repair shops.When you sign an insurance agreement with a company it becomes a legaly binding contract between the policy holder and the insurance company.You also have the right to bring the vehicle to the shop of your choice to avoid shoddy repairs made by shops in bed with insurers.
When you are in an accident and the other party is found at fault you are always better off going through there insurance company for the claim.Because you signed a contract with your insurer it limits you to the guidlines within that contract.You may find in small print terminology like used/aftermarket parts are to be used if available.You also may not be able to sue your own insurance company in the event of a claim.By going through the other partys insurance you are not bound by these restrictions and there job becomes to make you whole again and now you can sue.
Do not allow the steeler to take advantage of you.If they are unwilling to help you Id be contacting Milwakee to get the Moco's recomended procedure for frame repair and be expressing my feelings about the lack of help that dealer was offering.Im sure you are not the first in this position and also sure the recomendation you get will be to replace the frame.Talk to local body shops with your questions.I ride, and write appraisals out of a body shop every day, happy to help a fellow rider with info.Those guys know the laws the loop holes and probably deal with that insurance appraiser alot more than any Harley dealer.

I have a couple of thoughts on this although I am not sure of Canadian insurance law.In the states there are laws in place to protect consumers from the giant insurance companies as well as greedy repair shops.When you sign an insurance agreement with a company it becomes a legaly binding contract between the policy holder and the insurance company.You also have the right to bring the vehicle to the shop of your choice to avoid shoddy repairs made by shops in bed with insurers.
When you are in an accident and the other party is found at fault you are always better off going through there insurance company for the claim.Because you signed a contract with your insurer it limits you to the guidlines within that contract.You may find in small print terminology like used/aftermarket parts are to be used if available.You also may not be able to sue your own insurance company in the event of a claim.By going through the other partys insurance you are not bound by these restrictions and there job becomes to make you whole again and now you can sue.
Do not allow the steeler to take advantage of you.If they are unwilling to help you Id be contacting Milwakee to get the Moco's recomended procedure for frame repair and be expressing my feelings about the lack of help that dealer was offering.Im sure you are not the first in this position and also sure the recomendation you get will be to replace the frame.Talk to local body shops with your questions.I ride, and write appraisals out of a body shop every day, happy to help a fellow rider with info.Those guys know the laws the loop holes and probably deal with that insurance appraiser alot more than any Harley dealer.

I think the wall i am up against is the fact this is the only harley dealer within 1000 plus miles plus 12 hour ferry ride, there isn't anyone else to give a valid second opnion, between the insurance adjuster and the hd shop it's what they say goes, and who am I to question them? I called milwakee and was told i should discuss my concerns with my dealer, i don't think they were listening very well. I also asked for a guideline for repair, they didn't think they had one. I find this hard to believe, someone has to tell the tech. what to check and look for on all bikes in general as well as an individual bike bassis ie. harley tech. training sessions.

Back