free website stats program container for oil changes | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

container for oil changes

oil filter and rags in the trash

Always agree in being a good steward of this planet of ours. But please elaborate on the tossing of a drained oil filter and rags. I've always recycled motor oil since way back when, but also have always disposed of my drained oil filters and oil clean-up rags in the trash. If not the trash...where? :bigsmiley28:

Any oil soaked rags, but especially the oil filter can be picked up the service station/recycler as well. The oil filter in particular is drained and crushed, at the recycler the metal will be melted, the rest burned off during reprocessing.

Any oil soaked rags, but especially the oil filter can be picked up the service station/recycler as well. The oil filter in particular is drained and crushed, at the recycler the metal will be melted, the rest burned off during reprocessing.

I recycle @ work, we have an OTC filter crusher, Sears will accept all used oil and filters, old batteries, some states will charge you a recycle or state fee to drop off old tires:s

Never thought of recycling the metal in the oil canister. Astute observations gentlemen. I shall adjust my SOP :)

As just a sidebar comment, it is truly amazing the amount of waste we humans can generate. Both recyclable and non-recyclable.

Never thought of recycling the metal in the oil canister. Astute observations gentlemen. I shall adjust my SOP :)

As just a sidebar comment, it is truly amazing the amount of waste we humans can generate. Both recyclable and non-recyclable.

This is one reason a lot of manufacturers are using canister filters now, no more metal and easier to crush, one word of advice here, these filters take alot of abuse and do not hold up well in these motors. I have seen many late models where these filters have crumbled , if that material would have been lodged in the oil pump well you get the idea here, be very careful you use a quality filter IMO

Back