container for oil changes

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by dogdad, Nov 26, 2010.

1. dogdad

dogdad Active Member

Just curious,,what do you use to catch your old oil and fluids when changing them? Has to be low profile to fit under the bike .

2. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

I took a 5 gallon bucket and cut about a 4" piece off the bottom. Works great.

3. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I have pails that I have cut but my favorite is a roasting pan that is 2 or 3" deep. You have probably missed them on sale. In Canada they go on sale around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    kemo

4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

As i have been draining oil from cars and motorcycles for many years i have a selection of oil drain pans probably the easiest to create and use was an empty 5 litre container that came with windscreen washer in it i cut the side off it and drain the oil into it then when i remove the cap from what was originally the top i can easily pour the oil out into a good container once i have about 20 litres of old oil i take it to the recycling centre

Brian

5. orourcs

orourcs Member

I went to Goodwill and bought an old cake pan. Works perfect. I also buy old towels and washcloths for grease rags there.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Kitty liter pan @ the dollar store:s

7. ProF

ProF Junior Member

I have a pet robot dog....he likes to lick up the oil. :D

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

I use an old plastic drain container specially made for changing oil, it has a screw on/off yellow lid and inside has a molded in oil filter holder to drain it fully. Had it since the 70's so it may not be available nowadays. I'll post up a pix if you need it...

Blitz oil drain pan - Shop sales, stores & prices at TheFind.com

P.S. Since it is reusable, resealable and holds 5 gallons, it is easy on the environment and transporting to the oil recycler is clean and easy (they take my old oil filter as well).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  9. opaka lips

opaka lips Member

A plastic retangular container (same size as Kemo's roast pan) from the harware store. Sold as a container to sprout seeds. It doubles as a container to clean parts or keeping parts from getting lost.

10. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

NewHD I think we have the same pan... I've had mine that long also... It works great, I really like the filter post.