free website stats program container for oil changes | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

container for oil changes

Auto Zone has a low profile container which is the lowest I've found. But I also roll the bike up on a 2 by 6 with a shorter 2 by 6 for the kickstand. That leaves enough room for the container to slide underneath.

Bike's elevated on jack so I have no clearance problems. Also, have oil drain chute for jack which catches everything & routes into my oil container.

Another item I use & it makes the auto parts guys happy, when I bring in oil for recycling, is a plastic 5-gal gas can. This way I'm not having to empty oil pan w/every vehicle change...holds enough for all vehicles so I'm only recycling oil ~every 6-months.

O'Reilly's formerly Schucks sells a very nice plastic five gallon container with top and side openings. You can also take your used oil to them and they will recycle for free.

I run my roadglide up on a two by four under each wheel and one under the kick stand, Gives my the extra space I need.

Old rectangular cake pan. Holds all 3 fluids. Didn't even have to steal from the wife, she gave it to me!
wilks3

Roasting pan. I find it easy to crimp a spout into one corner for easy pouring down the toilet...

oops...did I say that outloud?

Actually a buddy of mine uses it to heat his shop.

"--IN THE TOILET...?" that would be a BIG NO-NO, just a few drops of oil can ruin 100 gallons of drinkable water...imagine what 3 to 4 quarts damage would do. Now imagine "just" a dozen guys doing that serious misdeed...per 10,000 people population wise. Hazardous waste is a big deal.

There are plenty of places that accept your crankcase drainings...Do not dump it ANYWHERE, it eventually finds it's way into storm drains or ground water...!

In my area of Scotland we have recycling centers which are paid for through local taxes and they accept old oil and tyres so i always collect mine in old oil containors etc and hand it in

Brian

"--IN THE TOILET...?" that would be a BIG NO-NO, just a few drops of oil can ruin 100 gallons of drinkable water...imagine what 3 to 4 quarts damage would do. Now imagine "just" a dozen guys doing that serious misdeed...per 10,000 people population wise. Hazardous waste is a big deal.

There are plenty of places that accept your crankcase drainings...Do not dump it ANYWHERE, it eventually finds it's way into storm drains or ground water...!

I thought with the last sentence of my post it would be obvious I was joking. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I would never dump my oil irresponsibly.

:57:

I thought with the last sentence of my post it would be obvious I was joking. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I would never dump my oil irresponsibly.

:57:

No worries Doc...I caught the end that you were joking...just a reminder to make sure all readers understand that even the simple tossing of partially full oil cans, oil filter and rags in the trash is not just an out of sight out of mind thing.

When I was looking at real estate here in SoCal, I was looking at a nice mechanics's house that looked okay except for one corner in the backyard with a big black spot and the heavy smell of motor oil...no sale!:small3d007:

It was not so long ago that light bulbs, batteries and perscription drugs were tossed away in the trash or flushed down the toilet. Nowadays there are proper ways to dispose of these items; think of all the disposible items...old electronic equipment and appliances, you name it there is a "proper way" to sustain our biking life and our children's, be it disposal or recycling. You even are helping by buying used rather than new or a reusable oil pan/container!

Last edited:
Back