free website stats program Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC

I know this is way out in left field but does you shifter rod have heim joints on it? When mine get dry they will chirp / squeak a little while she is running...just sayin'.

Re: Can't Find Chirpighng Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC

I know this is way out in left field but does you shifter rod have heim joints on it? When mine get dry they will chirp / squeak a little while she is running...just sayin'.

I had to look up heim joints...I don't have them on my shifter rod....great thought though...I thought for sure it would be something obscure like that. I'm in the process of taking down the top end. Having a heck of a time getting the shafts out of the rocker support plate....anyone know a trick for this?

You mentioned that you checked the stabilizer, have you tried some lube like a silicone or a dab of grease to eliminate them as a source. If you ride in bad weather or wash the bike a lot, they could be dry and in need of some lube.

Give them a twist by hand and see if the feel loose or dry and gritty.

WD40 Silicone lube is dripping from my bike.....thanks....certainly don't want to overlook something simple...I'm known for that..

Not a bad call... I'd pop off the top cover and listen and look... any gaulling of the valve could be seen there also...AND you could have it running. IF the noise IS there on the exhaust valve,,,,,Spray it with a lube and see if it quiets... You may JUST have a top end lube problem...

At Least it is the easier cover to remove than the DREADED back one...:s

signed....BUBBIE

I'm doing this first thing in the morning...

I had to look up heim joints...I don't have them on my shifter rod....great thought though...I thought for sure it would be something obscure like that. I'm in the process of taking down the top end. Having a heck of a time getting the shafts out of the rocker support plate....anyone know a trick for this?

Is it necessary to disassemble the rocker assy (take out the shafts and rockers) if everything looks good? No play anywhere....

Is it necessary to disassemble the rocker assy (take out the shafts and rockers) if everything looks good? No play anywhere....

Are you rotating the motor to get the lifters on the base circle before "feeling" by hand to see if everything is tight? With the valve train loaded, it will everything will feel tight.

Could the umbrella valves be causing this somehow? Crank case pressure getting by them causing the sound?

I assume that there is a kit including a new umbrella valve, element etc. I'll be replacing that stuff. I started it yesterday without the exhaust and I don't believe that the valve guides are bad. I saw no movement of the guides. I actually rode it around the yard VERY briefly and I could still hear the noise when torque was applied even above the exhaust (or lack of it). I'll be getting to the pistons soon. Thought I may take the rocker support assemblies to the shop and let the guy there inspect them for clearance etc since I don't have those instruments. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

Are you rotating the motor to get the lifters on the base circle before "feeling" by hand to see if everything is tight? With the valve train loaded, it will everything will feel tight.

I am. I pulled the front cover first, I was able to turn then push rods by hand. Then I removed the rocker support plate with rockers and shafts intact. I'll do the same when I pull the rear cover (shortly).

Back