free website stats program Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC

I am by no means as knowledgeable as the HD mech. you spoke to, but I have to agree with Jack. It has been my experience that something loose in the piston usually sounds like a thud or slap. I don't think I have ever heard a loose or broken valve guide, but the motion would seem like a high pitched squeal could happen. I'm still thinking that the head gasket leak is possible. Please let us know how this turns out. Best of luck.

Another good point Don, a compression / leak down test before dis assembly would not hurt

I am by no means as knowledgeable as the HD mech. you spoke to, but I have to agree with Jack. It has been my experience that something loose in the piston usually sounds like a thud or slap. I don't think I have ever heard a loose or broken valve guide, but the motion would seem like a high pitched squeal could happen. I'm still thinking that the head gasket leak is possible. Please let us know how this turns out. Best of luck.

I appreciate it....I'm going to drop the exhaust in the morning. The dealer mechanic said that evidence of oil when looking into the cylinder at the exhaust site would suggest a bad valve guide...Guess I'll start there. Definitely will keep y'all posted, thanks for the great feedback!

I appreciate it....I'm going to drop the exhaust in the morning. The dealer mechanic said that evidence of oil when looking into the cylinder at the exhaust site would suggest a bad valve guide...Guess I'll start there. Definitely will keep y'all posted, thanks for the great feedback!

Pics of the valve guides....could this be my problem?

Attachments

• 11 11 13 1712.jpg
    11 11 13 1712.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 11 11 13 1717.jpg
    11 11 13 1717.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 24
Running for a minute won't be long enough for anything to over heat and hurt the engine... Wear ear protection, though and eye protection in case a little piece of carbon comes off at high velocity.

Running for a minute won't be long enough for anything to over heat and hurt the engine... Wear ear protection, though and eye protection in case a little piece of carbon comes off at high velocity.

That's good advice, thanks...anyone got an opinion on that valve guide?

You mentioned that you checked the stabilizer, have you tried some lube like a silicone or a dab of grease to eliminate them as a source. If you ride in bad weather or wash the bike a lot, they could be dry and in need of some lube.

Give them a twist by hand and see if the feel loose or dry and gritty.

Back