free website stats program Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC

Not a bad call... I'd pop off the top cover and listen and look... any gaulling of the valve could be seen there also...AND you could have it running. IF the noise IS there on the exhaust valve,,,,,Spray it with a lube and see if it quiets... You may JUST have a top end lube problem...

At Least it is the easier cover to remove than the DREADED back one...:s

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the advice. My perception du jour is that it may be coming from the front motor mount. Gonna check that tomorrow. Rule out the simple things first, right? This will be a sweet victory when this one is solved...Thanks again!

I haven't read each and every post on this, but I had the same problem with my previous scooter...was the drive belt. I sprayed belt dressing, available at any auto parts store, on it to solve the problem. I suspect my rear pulley was simply worn, but it was easy to fix with the belt dressing compared to $300 for a new pulley. To eliminate this as a problem, just put your bike on a jack, and spray dressing on the belt as you rotate the rear wheel. If the chirping goes away, you've found your problem!

I haven't read each and every post on this, but I had the same problem with my previous scooter...was the drive belt. I sprayed belt dressing, available at any auto parts store, on it to solve the problem. I suspect my rear pulley was simply worn, but it was easy to fix with the belt dressing compared to $300 for a new pulley. To eliminate this as a problem, just put your bike on a jack, and spray dressing on the belt as you rotate the rear wheel. If the chirping goes away, you've found your problem!

I actually haven't sprayed the belt. I've inspected it and checked the tension but have not sprayed it....but I will...Eliminated the front motor mount as the culprit. I have an appt Friday with a guy who is supposed to be a guru...hopefully he can shed some light on it. I'll keep y'all posted and thanks again to everyone!

I actually haven't sprayed the belt. I've inspected it and checked the tension but have not sprayed it....but I will...Eliminated the front motor mount as the culprit. I have an appt Friday with a guy who is supposed to be a guru...hopefully he can shed some light on it. I'll keep y'all posted and thanks again to everyone!

I used a belt dressing on my Old Jeep and what a mess...

I bought a can of Napa product in a spray can....Black, but got it all over the light colored aluminum parts.... Really made a unsightly MESS.

I don't think HD recommends a belt dressing. IF they do, they sell it.. Might check with them first.

Water sprayed on the belt would take care of a squeak for a little time.

I warn....careful if you do anything with dressing LIKE I Did...

I think a bar of white wax would be the product and method I'd use... Spinning the rear tire and apply the wax by rubbing it on the edges of the belt...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the advice. My perception du jour is that it may be coming from the front motor mount. Gonna check that tomorrow. Rule out the simple things first, right? This will be a sweet victory when this one is solved...Thanks again!
Try spraying a little lube on the top mottor mount.

I used a belt dressing on my Old Jeep and what a mess...

I bought a can of Napa product in a spray can....Black, but got it all over the light colored aluminum parts.... Really made a unsightly MESS.

I don't think HD recommends a belt dressing. IF they do, they sell it.. Might check with them first.

Water sprayed on the belt would take care of a squeak for a little time.

I warn....careful if you do anything with dressing LIKE I Did...

I think a bar of white wax would be the product and method I'd use... Spinning the rear tire and apply the wax by rubbing it on the edges of the belt...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

:s A candle or a tire marking chalk will work fine, to my knowledge no one has ever suggested using spray on a belt drive, nor have I ever used it JMO

I saw the ex HD mechanic today who has his own shop that everyone around these parts recommends. He spent about an hour going over her with a fine tooth comb and took her for a ride of course. He believes that it's a bad wrist pin. An "educated guess" based on the symptoms and his assessment. I guess I'll be taking the top end apart next. He seems pretty certain about his diagnosis. Didn't try to talk me into letting him fix it but told me what to do and wouldn't charge me anything. Any thoughts?

I saw the ex HD mechanic today who has his own shop that everyone around these parts recommends. He spent about an hour going over her with a fine tooth comb and took her for a ride of course. He believes that it's a bad wrist pin. An "educated guess" based on the symptoms and his assessment. I guess I'll be taking the top end apart next. He seems pretty certain about his diagnosis. Didn't try to talk me into letting him fix it but told me what to do and wouldn't charge me anything. Any thoughts?

Interesting, I have always found a knocking noise from a bad wrist pin, most often like piston slap, however I have heard and seen a broken or loose valve guide make noises like this. Once you pull the head off rock the piston, see how much play you have and get back to us Good Luck:s

Interesting, I have always found a knocking noise from a bad wrist pin, most often like piston slap, however I have heard and seen a broken or loose valve guide make noises like this. Once you pull the head off rock the piston, see how much play you have and get back to us Good Luck:s

Will do, thank you sir....

I am by no means as knowledgeable as the HD mech. you spoke to, but I have to agree with Jack. It has been my experience that something loose in the piston usually sounds like a thud or slap. I don't think I have ever heard a loose or broken valve guide, but the motion would seem like a high pitched squeal could happen. I'm still thinking that the head gasket leak is possible. Please let us know how this turns out. Best of luck.

Back