free website stats program avoiding objects in the road | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

avoiding objects in the road

Hitting things in the road. Not my cup of tea, but I can tell ya that possums make mess on bikes! :D Also, I hit a pheasant and it just about took me out. I thought I had been shot in the face or something. Really a surprise to say the least. The one that surprised me was when I got mixed up with a bunch of starlings. I don't know how many I hit, but the one that was half dead laying in my lap flapping around is the one that brought me the closest to wrecking.

I ran over a a tire tread one night many years ago and to this day, not sure how I kept the bike up, but I do remember it was on heck of a ride. It must have been a small one or the end of a larger one. Didn't see it at all!
Ugly John

Avoiding objects in the road means you must use the IPDE process learned in basic MSF and Better Biking corses:
Identify - the potential hazard(s)...

Predict - direction and either increase distance looking for exit strategy, or slow down to allow hazard to separate, (if more than one).

Decide - the course of action, if a strong proactive countersteering maneuver is called for make sure it is one you have practiced before...do not oversteer or try to perform a maneuver outside your ability - this is where your earler practice time improving your riding skills is put to the test.

Execute - the maneuver strategy, braking and additional steering inputs to complete it, do not give up until the hazard has past and keep scanning for a 2nd evasive maneuver if you were allowing hazard separation to your minimize risk. :s

my question is on avoiding objects in the road
i realise that some objects are easier to avoid than others and even some need to be avoided. the other day is was riding down a back country road just enjoying the great day came over a small hill and on the back side was a 2x4 at maybe a 45 degree angle to me. luckily i was able to simply avoid this, but what about at higher rates of speed and in traffic is there a better way than others to successfully navigate over such objects.

also curious anybody ever been hit by a bird while riding ?

I might have too much free time on my hands

Well JD, you have certainly been given a lot of great advice already so I won't reitterate that, but what I haven't seen is any advice on crossing Railroad tracks and pavement changes, so I'll talk about those.

With both RR tracks and pavement changes, try to hit them straight on as possible (90 degrees prefered).

RR tracks that cross the highway at a steep angle can cause your front tire to turn in the direct the tracks run and cause you to go down. I usually slow down when approching RR tracks and decide if I need to adjust my approach to them to hit more squarely, but always be aware of others around you as you make course changes, even when staying in your own lane.

Pavement changes are similar to RR tracks. Freeway entrances and exits often change from blacktop to concrete or vice-versa. Again, if they are at steep angle to your path of travel, you want to reduce that angle by staying at the far edge of the lane your in and just before crossing the pavement break, make a course correction to cross the break at a more square angle. Pavement changes/breaks usually will not make you go down, but can still make the bike squirlery and give ya a scare.

I have been hit by a bird once in the windshield (thank God), but my biggest scares with wildlife was a couple deers crossing the road, and also a couple times dogs ran out in front of me. Those will get the heartrate up! :52:

All comments on this subject are great - one thing that I don't think was mentioned is if you have no choice but to ride over the object (i.e. 2x4, railway tracks, expansion joint, etc.) and you are ready to hit it at 90 degrees and have attempted to stand the bike up straight, remember to release the front brake just before you come in contact with the object.

Back