free website stats program avoiding objects in the road | Harley Davidson Forums

avoiding objects in the road

jd4300

my question is on avoiding objects in the road
i realise that some objects are easier to avoid than others and even some need to be avoided. the other day is was riding down a back country road just enjoying the great day came over a small hill and on the back side was a 2x4 at maybe a 45 degree angle to me. luckily i was able to simply avoid this, but what about at higher rates of speed and in traffic is there a better way than others to successfully navigate over such objects.

also curious anybody ever been hit by a bird while riding ?

I might have too much free time on my hands

Came around a corner in the hills and a buzzard tried to get out of the way, hit my windshield. Two other times I've had near misses with them. As for the 2x4's and such, if its a board try to go over at as near 90 degrees and you can, not always possible but try if its safe.

my question is on avoiding objects in the road
i realise that some objects are easier to avoid than others and even some need to be avoided. the other day is was riding down a back country road just enjoying the great day came over a small hill and on the back side was a 2x4 at maybe a 45 degree angle to me. luckily i was able to simply avoid this, but what about at higher rates of speed and in traffic is there a better way than others to successfully navigate over such objects.

also curious anybody ever been hit by a bird while riding ?

I might have too much free time on my hands

Nope... You don't have too much time on your hands... It's good to think about this kinda stuff...

Have you taken the advanced riders course from the MSF? They teach some really great stuff... Take it, if you haven't...

Then practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. The key is to keep those skills fresh. If you don't practice them, they won't be there when you need 'em.

As for the bird thing... Nope... But I can tell you the exact diameter of duck's butt that I almost hit.... The darn thing flew into my path of travel and no matter which way I moved it stayed in front of me. I finally got a way from it by slowing down...

Last edited:
I have a Road Glide with the dual headlights, and I replaced one of them with a 40 million megawatt laser, which I use to vaporize any objects in front of me. They work great, they only cost 40 million dollars, and they come with a 40 minute warrantee.:D

I have a Road Glide with the dual headlights, and I replaced one of them with a 40 million megawatt laser, which I use to vaporize any objects in front of me. They work great, they only cost 40 million dollars, and they come with a 40 minute warrantee.:D

Would your favorite number be 4 by any chance? :lolrolling

Shoot, I think I'll get two of em, who sells em? :s

Caught a redbird in the chest one time at about 50 or so. Smarted pretty good, but I don't think the bird knew what got him.:D

We have some Hawks here in New England that like to dive bomb you.Last summer I watched the rider in front of me get his helmet attacked.He was oblivious to it, I thought I was in an episode of Wild Hogs.

Sounds like a goverment purchase contract to me! And is that warrantee in operating time, or time from when you take delivery?

Back