free website stats program avoiding objects in the road | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

avoiding objects in the road

I have a Road Glide with the dual headlights, and I replaced one of them with a 40 million megawatt laser, which I use to vaporize any objects in front of me. They work great, they only cost 40 million dollars, and they come with a 40 minute warrantee.:D

Do you and Dr. Brown from Back to the Future have anything in common? :newsmile040:

I might consider it if you have an extended payment plan to match...:bigsmiley20:

I took the MSF course. What I learned does not help in avoiding pot holes. Here in Michigan after the recent thaw and now a re-freeze, our roads look like the moon. They knock the rims and tires off of cages. Can't imagine hitting a 3 foot wide 1 foot deep pot hole on my Harley. DON'T TAILGATE. This is the other reason I hate living up North since I bought my Harley. It was nice the other day, but salt, pieces of cement, and crators the size of VW's don't make for a nice ride. Also, do you know how they fix these holes, they shovel in tar and let the cages pack it in. I surely don't need tar and grit stuck to the bottom of my Harley. But the best advice I can give to avoid objects in the road is DON'T TAILGATE so you have a good look at whats aheard. Safe riding to all and Happy New Year.

I had a friend get hit in the throat by a robin while on the highway. He bought a windshield after that, would never ride without one.

While in my car on the highway, a bread truck moved into another lane to avoid what was coming up: a brass headboard and footboard, a mattress, and box springs. Because of traffic, I couldn't change lanes -- wound up driving over the footboard. Scared the devil out of me! Glad I was in a car and not on a bike.

Countersteer around anything where there is room to go beside the object.
If you don't properly know how to countersteer, take an advanced rider course.
And potholes are likely the easiest things to avoid. If you can see it, you should have (or get) the skills to avoid it.
DON'T TAILGATE!!!!!!

I've never hit a bird. Come close to a lot of different varmints. A buddy riding lead with me last year grazed a deer. If you see a large animal (or cage) on the highway with barely time to react, aim to miss its rear. They don't often stop and hit reverse when running across the highway.

A couple of posts recommend an advanced rider course to learn countersteering. I would strongly advocate starting with the basic, then intermediate, then advanced. At least around here, the MSF teaches countersteering and other avoidance techniques in all their courses. Our local HOG chapter conducts a basic course every year. Many long time (and good) riders re-take it every year. I plan to...

thanks everyone lots of good advice and interesting stories. I am looking into the rider saftey course sponsored by the chp out here.

Caught a redbird in the chest one time at about 50 or so. Smarted pretty good, but I don't think the bird knew what got him.:D

Redbird caught by Redfish...could happen, think our fine feathered friend knew?...you betcha...Redfish-Joe your notorious! :bigsmiley8:

Last edited:
I never hit a bird but I had a few scare me half to death and make me duck. The worse thing I ever rode through was a black cloud that turned out to be a swarm of bees.......the only advise I got on that is don't stop until your through it no matter how bad you want to.:bigsmiley30: Put your head down and keep going!!!!

I never hit a bird but I had a few scare me half to death and make me duck. The worse thing I ever rode through was a black cloud that turned out to be a swarm of bees.......the only advise I got on that is don't stop until your through it no matter how bad you want to.:bigsmiley30: Put your head down and keep going!!!!

Today while out for a ride, had to do a sharp countersteer move to avoid "attacking" dog to increase distance and once straight, opened the throttle quick. Dog could not change direction to follow once past. Combination of what SledDog and Wildspirit said...practice countersteering and decide proper course of action...you will only have a moment to execute that strategy, make the most of it...:sd

I had a redbird fly between me and the windscreen,missed me though.For me an object in the road must not be looked at.I must look at something in my escape route,color of pavement etc.If I focus on the object I usually hit it dead center.I know now that I must look away,(can always turn around and come back to remove it from roadway.)

this is taught at driving schools,

Back