free website stats program Anybody Wear.... | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anybody Wear....

I wear one as well. You have to have something highly visible while riding on base, day or night. Day you can get away with a brightly colored shirt, at night it has to be reflective. I simply wear this one all the time. It has the ID pocket for quick access to my ID and it is big enough to fit over my uniform or a leather jacket.

I wear an ICON safety on base and at night but am seriously considering wear it all the time.

When I bought my first Harley, I bought one of those black safety vest with the silver reflective HD on the back and Strip accross the chest. I really liked it but the Marine Corps decided that vest had to be bright orange or yellow.

Still even with vest on, we have had two serious accidents in the last six months, which resulted in one almost losing a foot and the another who lost his life. Both had on vest.

IMHO, even if some people ignore the vest, I only need the one driver that may have killed me to see it. Who knows how many times that has happened?

I like the ICON vests (and jackets) a lot. I really like that they have the regs for each branch printed on the garment. The most military friendly outerwear I have ever seen. Good quality too. The ONLY reason I went with the Harley vest over ICON was the price. I had just bought the harley and every penny after that counted. :)

I remember reading somewhere about a non-scientific experiment concerning riding gear.

First the guy rode with very high visibility gear.... reflective vest ...bright helmet etc and kept track of the number of infractions against him by cages.

Next he rode in "biker gear" black leather black helmet etc.and kept track.

Third he rode dressed looking like a motorcycle cop.

The infractions for biker gear and reflective gear were about the same. Only when he dressed as a cop did the number of infractions drop significantly.

The point was not so much that cages don't see motorcycles as they don't SEE them as a THREAT. I have noticed this myself. I have people look right at me and pull out in front of me when I'm on the bike. I drive a sidecar with lights on both sides and it seems hard to miss.

I also drive a very small Red Toyota Yaris and people are always cutting me off, but when I drive my 4x4 Diesel truck with a plow on the front, I hardly ever get cut off.

Is it because they see my truck better than a red car or just that they see it as a threat with a big Gnarley Plow on front?

I think your own to something here...

Back