free website stats program Anybody Wear.... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anybody Wear....

Wear one every morning at 0400 on my daily commute from EC, NC to VA about 500 miles or so a week (rain, shine, snow…..). Also have some nice sounding VH pipes, yet I come dangerously close to kicking off mirrors or reaching in through the window to grab the cell phone that then insist on being on all the time. Some people think highly of themselves to be in constant need to be reached on the phone just incase they have to solve some pressing world problem……don’t even get me started on how many I see texting.

I come dangerously close to kicking off mirrors or reaching in through the window to grab the cell phone that then insist on being on all the time. Some people think highly of themselves to be in constant need to be reached on the phone just in case they have to solve some pressing world problem……don’t even get me started on how many I see texting.

I know the feeling, I am very tempted too, I wear gloves with carbon fiber armour and often feel like smacking the cage; I refrain myself however as it might end up in a chase and I probably would come off worst.
Using a cell phone is illegal here but I have never heard of anybody being prosecuted.
I have seen a guy shaving, girls putting on their make up and lots of drivers eating or drinking coffee while driving.
Trouble with most cagers is that they can operate a car but they can't actually drive and they certainly don't give ALL their attention to driving.
Just to satisfy my curiosity; do bikes have to have their lights on in the day in the US?
HDs sold in Europe have the lights automatically switched on when turning on the ignition.

I
Using a cell phone is illegal here but I have never heard of anybody being prosecuted.
I have seen a guy shaving, girls putting on their make up and lots of drivers eating or drinking coffee while driving.

Just to satisfy my curiosity; do bikes have to have their lights on in the day in the US?

My rig has my headlight, passing lights, and a passing light on the sidecar, plus a fender marking light. I am seriously thinking of getting a headlight modulator also. Headlight modulator - Double Eagle Harley-Davidson I had one on another bike and it did seem to make a difference.

Ya, I have seen people reading books, looking at maps, writing in notebooks, text messaging, and fixing make up. It gotta make you a little worried.

Last edited:
Third he rode dressed looking like a motorcycle cop.

The infractions for biker gear and reflective gear were about the same. Only when he dressed as a cop did the number of infractions drop significantly.

The point was not so much that cages don't see motorcycles as they don't SEE them as a THREAT. I have noticed this myself. I have people look right at me and pull out in front of me when I'm on the bike.

This is very interesting. i was out for a ride a couple days ago and experienced the same thing. I was riding down this road and it seemed as if every cage was trying to hit me or cut me off. I stopped at a light and a cycle cop pulled up, we chatted for a moment and rode together for a mile or so. he pulled off and I continued on. The cars behind me kept their distance and maintained the speed limit for the next 25 miles till I pulled off. I was dressed in all black gear with reflective patches but no branding. they must have thought I was a cop after I rode with the cop. These were the exact same cars that were tailgating me and driving like fools.

BTW the cycle cops in my town are pretty cool, always wave and like to cruise.

Read the reg it applys on or off base 24/7 if on active duty or on any type of orders. Has not been enforced much in the past but they have been increasing enforcement. Also reqiures helment, and eye protection no madder what state law is at all times Reg on MS course has been around 25+ years.
All non miltary on post must wear it

The Air Force also requires footware that covers the ankles and full finger gloves. I can not count the number of times a Commander asked me those questions when I had to call him/her about a motorcycle accident. I have two High Vis vests both were bought in Europe one Bright Safety Orange and the other Bright Safety Yellow. Both have come in handy, but still have been run off the road while wearing one.

Reg on MS course and riding gear applys to civilians when on post or being paid to travel..
To active duty 24/7 regardless of state law. To National Guard and Res. when on duty, on orders and to and from drill days.
Only applys to Retired on post.
As 1SG I spent a few hours explain this to soldiers.
The Reg does not say a vest is required it says a reflective item, some Post commanders have taken that to mean a vest and added that requirement to soldiers under thier command.
Most wear the PT traing belt and the JAG has said it meets the reg. Also many of the leather jackects with some reflective addos on meet the requirement.

The 06 I work for is a big time rider, but he decided to take it a step further and made it a command directive to wear the vest at all times

I have one that I wear on base and at night. To me it helps to be seen... Yes people are still going to pull out in front of you and may even rear-end you but they do that to one another as it is... Maybe if they see you they'll not hit you.

Trust me, even when you are "dressed like a cop" and have flashing red and blue lights activated, upstanding citizens will still try to run you over on a regular basis.

After a while, you begin to wonder how some people manage to tie their shoe laces in the morning, never mind obtaining a drivers licence and piloting a 4000 lb. automobile while texting and applying their make-up....

Your best survival tactic is to pay attention to your surroundings and always assume that the car coming toward you will turn left in front of you at the intersection.

Ride defensively and expect the un-expected.

On the positive side, its been my experience that most people treat Harley riders with a little more respect than those on Brand X motorcycles. JMO...

Certainly anything you can do to add visibility may help and certainly won't hurt , but as someone told me a long time ago...."treat everyone as if they are out to kill you" That was in "Nam" but the same applies here.

Back