free website stats program Anybody Wear.... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anybody Wear....

I work on a navy base, DOD instructions make me wear it while riding on base. The things we do for a pay check..:D

Don't wear one, I thought they were for ID,ing bodies easier off the road-way:newsmile102:

Sometimes I think being more visible just gives them a better target to aim at.

I agree. They get target fixation and run you down.

They talked about making them compulsory here in New Zealand but it seems to have gone away. I notice a lot of born agains were killed on the roads in NZ this year. They will probably try to make a law change to *fix* that. Vest could be part of it. Although a bit of rider training if you haven't riden anything since BSA were still making motorcycles might be a better option.

Don't wear one, I thought they were for ID,ing bodies easier off the road-way:newsmile102:

LOL. I bought a pair of wet weather pants which had 'BLOOD GROUP' on the name label. I wrote *JIM BEAM* on it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I still wear an ICON high visibility vest. Like other posters I started wearing one to ride on base. Now retired for nearly 7 years I continue to ride one, even though I don't hit base too often. Sometimes I feel at ods with wearing one as it covers up the great patches on my HERO ICON leather jacket.

Still, from the perspective of a seasoned rider and professionally as a Nurse, I don't need to temp fate.

Just today on our way home with all the lights on my FLHTCU, some unattentive driver pulled right out in front of my daughter and I. But like many of you, I'm watching all drivers like a hawk and he didn't get us.

- Luis
Life is a Team Effort

I remember reading somewhere about a non-scientific experiment concerning riding gear.

First the guy rode with very high visibility gear.... reflective vest ...bright helmet etc and kept track of the number of infractions against him by cages.

Next he rode in "biker gear" black leather black helmet etc.and kept track.

Third he rode dressed looking like a motorcycle cop.

The infractions for biker gear and reflective gear were about the same. Only when he dressed as a cop did the number of infractions drop significantly.

The point was not so much that cages don't see motorcycles as they don't SEE them as a THREAT. I have noticed this myself. I have people look right at me and pull out in front of me when I'm on the bike. I drive a sidecar with lights on both sides and it seems hard to miss.

I also drive a very small Red Toyota Yaris and people are always cutting me off, but when I drive my 4x4 Diesel truck with a plow on the front, I hardly ever get cut off.

Is it because they see my truck better than a red car or just that they see it as a threat with a big Gnarley Plow on front?

Good point. Target fixation is difficult to overcome to folks who aren't aware of it or don't understand it, which includes most of the cage drivers of the country.

Target fixation. Hmm....never thought of that. Another reason gals should ride topless on the back of a motorcycle.:11:

Target fixation. Hmm....never thought of that. Another reason gals should ride topless on the back of a motorcycle.:11:

W-e-l-l maybe with a reflective vest...:newsmile017:without may be viewed as a "treat" eh "threat":small3d007:

Last edited:
<snip>

I also drive a very small Red Toyota Yaris and people are always cutting me off, but when I drive my 4x4 Diesel truck with a plow on the front, I hardly ever get cut off.
<snip>
My other vehicle is an 36ft bus. When I drive her I always get this Karma feeling when someone thinks about cutting me off and then doesn't.

Strange thing is people do still pull out. Hard to think they haven't seen me. maybe I should try putting a vest on the front of the bus :D

Yeah then the only people you would have to look out for would be homicidal necrophiliacs! (and of course the legions of *distracted* drivers)

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange thing is people do still pull out. Hard to think they haven't seen me. maybe I should try putting a vest on the front of the bus :D

Maybe a blue or red flashing light and you could dress like a cop.

You gotta be stupid to pull out in front of a bus, so maybe it is just Darwinian theory in action.:bigsmiley6:

Back