free website stats program Anybody Wear.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Anybody Wear....

ShagNasty

Anybody wear the high visibility vest by HD? I purchased one yesterday while visiting the dealer. I see more and more of my friends wearing them, especially for those early morning rides to work and when foggy or misty rain. It would be hard for a cager to say "I did not see him"..if you were wearing one..I think Ray Charles would be able to see one of these coming down the road. Just asking

Anybody wear the high visibility vest by HD? I purchased one yesterday while visiting the dealer. I see more and more of my friends wearing them, especially for those early morning rides to work and when foggy or misty rain. It would be hard for a cager to say "I did not see him"..if you were wearing one..I think Ray Charles would be able to see one of these coming down the road. Just asking

On military bases it is mandatory...also have to have an MSF certificate (or take course that many bases provide). There is a new one by ICON which is particularly durable, that has a handy pocket for your ID right in front (or if you go to the racetrack, put your Pit Pass in it). :D

Last edited:
IMO these reflective vests do increase the odds someone seeing a biker. Had to wear them when I rode on the airbase but haven't used them much otherwise. Have worn the vest on a couple of night rides.

I've got a hi-vis vest I wear in the morning when I walk. I walk well off the roadway and I think people still try to see how close they can come without actually hitting me.
Does it help them see me better? That was the whole idea.
Does it help them keep their distance....Who knows.
Would I wear it on the bike?...I've thought about it. But, with what I've seen of peoples actions when I'm walking....I don't think that it would make any difference.
Just my personal observation.

Read the reg it applys on or off base 24/7 if on active duty or on any type of orders. Has not been enforced much in the past but they have been increasing enforcement. Also reqiures helment, and eye protection no madder what state law is at all times Reg on MS course has been around 25+ years.
All non miltary on post must wear it

I've heard about the threat of enforcing the rule for AD folks off-base/off-duty. Don't know if its been enforced here. Man, a "line of duty" hammering your medical after someone hit you would be a kick in the rear! I've been retired too long to worry about those rules.:s

I wear the HD high vis vest, because as everyone is saying it is mandatory for us in the Military, but like smitty901 said people will still pull right in front of you!! I think it does help for the most part but there are some real AIR HEADS out there who just dont pay attention. It fits well and once you get used to it its not to bad

threesteps it is being enforced, it dont matter if your on leave or on duty. Any military personnel or civilian working for the U S Gov. has to follow this. I dont think it would effect you as you are retired (not to sure will have to look into it) The sad thing is we are loosing more Marines in the states then we are in Iraq or Afghanistan combined. and these are just motorcycle related deaths. I cant speak about the Army but I know they are loosing alot to.

threesteps it is being enforced, it dont matter if your on leave or on duty. Any military personnel or civilian working for the U S Gov. has to follow this. I dont think it would effect you as you are retired (not to sure will have to look into it) The sad thing is we are loosing more Marines in the states then we are in Iraq or Afghanistan combined. and these are just motorcycle related deaths. I cant speak about the Army but I know they are loosing alot to.

Sorry to hear motorcycle deaths among service members is so high. We've had several airmen fatalities in our area as well.

I know a couple of military retirees who have dumped their bikes. One busted up a leg and shoulder, the other cracked a rib and got some road rash. Tricare covered their medical treatments. One was wearing a helmet, the other was not. Neither wore vests.

Back