free website stats program 2014 SG Raw fuel smell after ride. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014 SG Raw fuel smell after ride.

HD14FLHTKSE052.gif

Have you looked at the vent tube?
#7 and 8 in this diagram

How well does it start when hot, fuel stop or bathroom break? Seeping fuel injector after shutdown would make the hot start require a little extra cranking. I think you are down to the engine connections, the fuel rail end of the fuel line, and the fuel rail connections to the injectors. Any seepage there would evaporate rapidly due to residual engine heat and not make a drip trail until it gets pretty bad. Suggest the dealer check or replace the O rings in those connections.

Let me throw this into the mix. My all stock 14 also would stink up the garage after putting her away. If I went our an hour after riding and sat on the bike you could feel the fuel tank was warm so I always attributed it to heat from the engine heating the fuel tank and expanding gasses escaping out the vent line (even crawled down and put the vent line up to my nose. Sure enough, strong smell of gas coming out of the vent. Didn't know what to do about it so whenever I could I let the bike sit outside for a half hour or so whenever I got back from riding (weather permitting).. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I put V&H duals, H2O ac ,rinehart mufflers and a PV3.. No smell whatsoever when I park it now.. Don't know if it is because the bike runs much much cooler or what. The wife has a 12 Switchback that was the same way till it got the same upgrades.. I did a survey of the guys I ride with when I stared noticing the smell. My 14 limited (mine), 12 switchback(wife's), 13 EGC, smell. Buddies 14 SG, 08 FXSTC, 05 EG, 08 RK, other buddies 14SG, 2 other buddies with 14 limiteds and 14 Switchback.. no smell... :33:
go figure..

I did a survey of the guys I ride with when I stared noticing the smell. My 14 limited (mine), 12 switchback(wife's), 13 EGC, smell. Buddies 14 SG, 08 FXSTC, 05 EG, 08 RK, other buddies 14SG, 2 other buddies with 14 limiteds and 14 Switchback.. no smell... :33:
go figure..

May I chime in and say how jealous I am that you have that many Harley riding buddies!

As much as I would love to nip this in the bud and believe it's caused from the heat going into the tank, I can't. I found NO difference in engine temps running stock to what I've done using a big dollar temp gage. As I've said in a previous post, I called Dobeck and the master tuner told me he's not found any difference in engine temps either (lean-rich) maybe 2-8 degrees difference. Only real difference was performance. Not sure if guys that are putting pipes on with a tuner are experiencing psychosomatic episodes or what but I've temped my engine all over the place on hot and cool days in both "modded" and stock, same temps. I appreciate all the help, the bike is going into storage very soon. My HD dealer (as much as they like to make money) is storing it for free. I'll have the SD look over it during this time. :s

Dr...it is nice to have lots of riding buddies..that was only about half of them and while it is great to ride with a lot of bikes, as the Road Captain it gets very hard to keep the pack together on rides ( Tampa during rush hour was interesting to say the least) you really have to depend on your trail guy.

gotnitro: hope you figure out what is going on. I have no idea why mine and the wife's stopped stinking after upgrades. Good luck brother. :cheers

Storage? I'll test ride it down here to see if high humidity has an impact on that smell. I'll even clean it ( after a run or 20 ).:D

I know my scoot is about 10 years older and its a different world than yours, but I get that overwhelming smell on occasion. Last night, it was strong, this past weekend, nothing. However, last night, I was decal popping pretty bad. ( the flames look pretty sharp at dusk though):small3d026: Just something I'll ask about in a few days.

I just consider it being moody.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Back