free website stats program 2014 SG Raw fuel smell after ride. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014 SG Raw fuel smell after ride.

My bike has had the same fuel smell problem for the 2 years I've owned it. Stinks up my garage real bad when I pull her in and shut the door. You're not alone with this problem. No leaks anywhere. Have had it in to the dealer twice for this and they have no idea what is causing it or where the smell is actually coming from. "First time they ever heard of this problem too" :shock

My bike has had the same fuel smell problem for the 2 years I've owned it. Stinks up my garage real bad when I pull her in and shut the door. You're not alone with this problem. No leaks anywhere. Have had it in to the dealer twice for this and they have no idea what is causing it or where the smell is actually coming from. "First time they ever heard of this problem too" :shock

Good to know!

Depending on how strong the smell gets, it could become an explosive mixture. Is there a lemon law in your state? Three trips to the dealer and you get a replacement machine. This has the potential to be quite serious, smoking hole in the ground where your house used to be serious.

Depending on how strong the smell gets, it could become an explosive mixture. Is there a lemon law in your state? Three trips to the dealer and you get a replacement machine. This has the potential to be quite serious, smoking hole in the ground where your house used to be serious.

No gas leak showing on the floor, just a smell. I don't think so....
Think man think ....

OP QUOTE:

One question I do have?. I understand a richer tune is needed for cooler, more dense air and the ECU will adjust. Could the tune I'm currently running be a bit rich being the engine is not getting as HOT because of the cooler ambient temps?

Reason I ask is a hotter engine will evaporate fuel quicker and the raw smell would not be as excessive. :eam[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do believe you have the problem as tooooo rich would leave the smell..

Other forum: fellow had a bad leaky internal gas line... The same thought as you are saying. His bike Needed to run Rich to keep it running. He said He smelled Raw Fuel all the time LIKE you do when PARKED in the garage...

Fixed the fuel hose and Now running good and not struggling to Keep enough fuel AND TOO Much fuel.... The gas Smell is gone.

Not saying you have a bad fuel pump line in the tank. BUT you might be on to the problem OF Richer Setting just like you said...:shock

Just a Thought... Maybe the HD gang will check it out.

signed....BUBBIE

OP QUOTE:

One question I do have?. I understand a richer tune is needed for cooler, more dense air and the ECU will adjust. Could the tune I'm currently running be a bit rich being the engine is not getting as HOT because of the cooler ambient temps?

Reason I ask is a hotter engine will evaporate fuel quicker and the raw smell would not be as excessive. :eam

Yes, I do believe you have the problem as tooooo rich would leave the smell..

Other forum: fellow had a bad leaky internal gas line... The same thought as you are saying. His bike Needed to run Rich to keep it running. He said He smelled Raw Fuel all the time LIKE you do when PARKED in the garage...

Fixed the fuel hose and Now running good and not struggling to Keep enough fuel AND TOO Much fuel.... The gas Smell is gone.

Not saying you have a bad fuel pump line in the tank. BUT you might be on to the problem OF Richer Setting just like you said...:shock

Just a Thought... Maybe the HD gang will check it out.

signed....BUBBIE

The tune I'm actually running is what Dobeck's stock setting is on the EJK with the acception of #1, #1 I'm running one notch lean. Stock EJK setting is 3.5-2.5-2.5 I'm running 3.0-2.5-2.5 I'll take a look into the fuel hose again but the last few times I was in there I showed no leaks. I was wondering if that tune was even too rich but the plugs and way it's running are fine..

No gas leak showing on the floor, just a smell. I don't think so....
Think man think ....

Liquid fuel doesn't burn, it is the vapor that burns. It is possible to dowse a cigarette in gasoline, the vapor above the liquid is what will explode. When someone cleans parts with gasoline it isn't the liquid which runs to an ignition source and explodes, it is the vapor or fumes if you prefer. It is a free country, believe what you wish.

After doing a Stage I on my ride and increasing the AFR with a Dobeck tuner, the fuel smell is not nearly as bad as it used to be. So I don't think the richness of the fuel has anything to do with it. My spark plugs look real good too. And absolutely no leaks at all anywhere. Someone told me that a tech at his dealership told him that the smell is due to the fuel tank being so close to the rear head and the heat from the head is almost boiling the fuel in the tank causing pressure and then the smell. Makes sense but who knows???

After doing a Stage I on my ride and increasing the AFR with a Dobeck tuner, the fuel smell is not nearly as bad as it used to be. So I don't think the richness of the fuel has anything to do with it. My spark plugs look real good too. And absolutely no leaks at all anywhere. Someone told me that a tech at his dealership told him that the smell is due to the fuel tank being so close to the rear head and the heat from the head is almost boiling the fuel in the tank causing pressure and then the smell. Makes sense but who knows???

That does make sense due to the fact that running a richer tune would usually mean running a cooler engine temp. However, I started to notice my problem once the weather got a bit cooler on the same tune as a 90 degree day. I have an Exergen $250 temp gauge (pro gauge for temping nitro engines) and came up with the same temps off the head running the stock settings with no tuner and stock pipes VS what I've done. I've actually talked to Dobeck and the head guy (I forget his name) got on the phone and told me he's got a "$10,000" temp gauge/gauges and he's only seen small differences in head temps and in some cases no difference in head temps with his EJK VS stock. I've found the same things.

I'm just at a loss at one day it's got NO smell and then the next day it stank up my whole garage like someones taken a can of fuel and dumped it on the floor.:small3d011:

As glazier said once the bike is stopped in an enclosed space the heat from the engine would rise and heat the fuel in the tank as heat causes stuff including fuel to expand causing greater pressure inside the tank the vent should then allow excess pressure to escape as fumes
In warmer weather the fuel in the tank will already be warm and there may not be sufficient pressure build up to force the fumes out of the vent
In cooler weather the fuel tank in the air flow will keep the fuel near ambient temp with lack of air flow and the heat rising from the engine when the bike is stationery then the fuel could expand more than in hot weather
Remedy park bike outside for a wee while then push it into the garage once engine is cooler

Brian

Back