free website stats program 2014 SG Raw fuel smell after ride. | Harley Davidson Forums

2014 SG Raw fuel smell after ride.

gotnitro

Banned
I'm wondering why I'm getting a pungent raw fuel smell coming from the bike. It makes my whole garage smell up and it's hard to tell where its coming from. There are no visible leaks I can see from anywhere. The fuel cap is tight as can be. The fuel line coming from the tank is snapped in all the way with no visible leaks either. Outside It does seem to get stronger toward the air intake and or under the tank area. The tank dosent matter if it's completly full or at 1/8th. The raw gas smell eventually goes away, almost like a small leak somewhere that eventually evaporates. This strong smell only happens after a ride and the way I caught it was going into my garage about 5-10 min after riding a few times. This just started happening about 5-6 rides or about 250 miles ago. Any idea what I need to be looking to fix?

Take the gas cap off and check seal on cap for any debris or damage.

Could it be a venting issue? You may want to pull off the air cleaner after a ride and see if you have any gas build up or leakage in the throttle body throat.

When you pull into the garage, WHAT do you do to shut it off. Do you let it Idle for a Brief moment? Rev it Up or Right off? Key or Kill switch?

signed....BUBBIE

I usually come down the street at low RPM wait for my garage to open, pull in at idle feathering the clutch and shut it down either by kill switch or key lock. Both ways still do the same.

I was just in for the clutch recall today, service looked for any leaks and found nothing either. I'm at a loss..

Venting as Jeff stated, could be a possibility. After your ride and you shut the bike off. Try opening the gas cap slowly and listen for any pressure release. If you think the problem occurs after the bike sits for awhile then try the cap test after it sits a while. Try both tests after two different rides.

Venting as Jeff stated, could be a possibility. After your ride and you shut the bike off. Try opening the gas cap slowly and listen for any pressure release. If you think the problem occurs after the bike sits for awhile then try the cap test after it sits a while. Try both tests after two different rides.

oops, I didn't see that post sorry.

Yes, I get pressure. There are only 4 reasons (maybe 5 with timing) I can think of that fuel would make it to the throttle body, 1, it's running WAY too rich along with #3, 2, two much back pressure which I have V&H X full headers on it so that cant be the problem, #3, a bad intake valve, #4 bad compression but it runs like a raped ape. Throttle response is all there, crack it and no hesitation, no bog, heaps of low end all the way to the rev lim.

oops, I didn't see that post sorry.

Yes, I get pressure. There are only 4 reasons (maybe 5 with timing) I can think of that fuel would make it to the throttle body, 1, it's running WAY too rich along with #3, 2, two much back pressure which I have V&H X full headers on it so that cant be the problem, #3, a bad intake valve, #4 bad compression but it runs like a raped ape. Throttle response is all there, crack it and no hesitation, no bog, heaps of low end all the way to the rev lim.

Smelling raw fuel like you described tells me a venting issue or a leak some where in the fuel delivery system. I'm out of ideas.:shock

Smelling raw fuel like you described tells me a venting issue or a leak some where in the fuel delivery system. I'm out of ideas.:shock

I agree. Venting is the only logical explination that makes any kind of sense due to the engine running perfectly. I'm just trying to figure out "why" all of a sudden... I haven't changed the tune or timing what so ever. One would think if it was running rich it would level off a bit with the cooler ambient temps in my area cause it's the same tune I ran in 80 degree temps...

One question I do have?. I understand a richer tune is needed for cooler, more dense air and the ECU will adjust. Could the tune I'm currently running be a bit rich being the engine is not getting as HOT because of the cooler ambient temps?

Reason I ask is a hotter engine will evaporate fuel quicker and the raw smell would not be as excessive. :eam

Back