free website stats program 2014 SG Raw fuel smell after ride. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014 SG Raw fuel smell after ride.

I agree. Venting is the only logical explination that makes any kind of sense due to the engine running perfectly. I'm just trying to figure out "why" all of a sudden... I haven't changed the tune or timing what so ever. One would think if it was running rich it would level off a bit with the cooler ambient temps in my area cause it's the same tune I ran in 80 degree temps...

One question I do have?. I understand a richer tune is needed for cooler, more dense air and the ECU will adjust. Could the tune I'm currently running be a bit rich being the engine is not getting as HOT because of the cooler ambient temps?

Reason I ask is a hotter engine will evaporate fuel quicker and the raw smell would not be as excessive. :eam

I don't know what your running for a tune but these beasts need to run a little richer as they run to lean stock. How do your plugs look? What's the color of the exhaust tips? Are you getting a little pop once in a while through your exhaust on decel. Those 3 things might tell you if your running a little too rich.

I don't know what your running for a tune but these beasts need to run a little richer as they run to lean stock. How do your plugs look? What's the color of the exhaust tips? Are you getting a little pop once in a while through your exhaust on decel. Those 3 things might tell you if your running a little too rich.

Just a follow up, I'd think if your running way to rich and the smell was coming from unburned fuel in the exhaust your plugs would be dark and sooty looking and possibly fouling. We ride on a computer with a engine so I'd expect to see the computer make any necessary adjustment as the weather changes.

This reply might seem to be a bit weird but where do you smell the gas fumes? Do you smell the fumes only in the garage or do you smell it in other locations?

Here's why I am asking.

I, too, once thought I had a similar problem only to discover the fumes were not coming from the bike but from a gas can sitting in the garage. It was not closed properly and the fumes were escaping through the cap stinking up the garage with gas fumes. After tightening the cap, the odor disappeared.

Just my .02. You never know!!

Just a follow up, I'd think if your running way to rich and the smell was coming from unburned fuel in the exhaust your plugs would be dark and sooty looking and possibly fouling. We ride on a computer with a engine so I'd expect to see the computer make any necessary adjustment as the weather changes.

Plugs are a golden, toasty light brown and so are the exhaust tips. But I haven't got in there to clean the tips in a few thousand miles. IMO, even if it's running a tad on the rich side, it shouldn't justify the huge raw smell it's creating.

This reply might seem to be a bit weird but where do you smell the gas fumes? Do you smell the fumes only in the garage or do you smell it in other locations?

Here's why I am asking.

I, too, once thought I had a similar problem only to discover the fumes were not coming from the bike but from a gas can sitting in the garage. It was not closed properly and the fumes were escaping through the cap stinking up the garage with gas fumes. After tightening the cap, the odor disappeared.

Just my .02. You never know!!

I hear ya! That was actually the first thing I checked.:s

Plugs are a golden, toasty light brown and so are the exhaust tips. But I haven't got in there to clean the tips in a few thousand miles. IMO, even if it's running a tad on the rich side, it shouldn't justify the huge raw smell it's creating.

I hear ya! That was actually the first thing I checked.:s

It certainly doesn't sound like a too rich condition, I'm still leaning towards a venting issue as you've eliminated any gas leaks or outside sources.

What if any mods. have you done?

It certainly doesn't sound like a too rich condition, I'm still leaning towards a venting issue as you've eliminated any gas leaks or outside sources.

What if any mods. have you done?

Dobeck EJK, V&H X header into power duals with a SE Chisel extreme air cleaner. I've been running the EJK one notch lean from the suggested stage 1 as well.

I have seen on a occasion that with new bikes at times there is a gas smell after parking and is especially worse in garage. It does not matter how long or how hard ride was or temperature. It did not seem to matter. And it would not happen all the time. Then one day no more smell....... :shock

I still smell a little gas after a ride,never before.Maybe it depends on how good your nose is.Mines 2013 FLHR,just turned 7k,always garaged.

Dobeck EJK, V&H X header into power duals with a SE Chisel extreme air cleaner. I've been running the EJK one notch lean from the suggested stage 1 as well.

#1 no gas leaks in the fuel system.
#2 not a to rich condition.
#3 no outside sources

You've eliminated the potential areas I'd think could cause what you described. Having said that your running out of things to check. IMHO there's nothing else other then a venting problem that would create a raw fuel smell.

I have seen on a occasion that with new bikes at times there is a gas smell after parking and is especially worse in garage. It does not matter how long or how hard ride was or temperature. It did not seem to matter. And it would not happen all the time. Then one day no more smell....... :shock

Sounds like a Harley? bwahaha...

Back