free website stats program 2005 FLHTI no brake light | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 FLHTI no brake light

fabrozor

Hi,

I used the search engine and read 12 pages of threads without finding the answer of my problem.

Here it is :

My bike is a 2005 Electra Standard.

Few days ago i had my brake light always ON. I think it remained like this for miles. I think it was because of my broken front brake switch (the switch activated by the front brake lever).

Today i see i have no brake light at all anymore, neither while activating front or rear brake lever.
When the bike is ON, the driving rear light lights on, but brake light doesn't work anymore.

• i checked the rear lamp bulb and i see 2 filament are OK.
  • i checked the fuse according to the manual, it is ok.
  • On the handle bar i disassembled the right switch housing to access to the front brake switch. Well i think it is broken but, anyway, when i press on it with my finger, i can hear the noise which seems to be a relay activation.

In the 12 pages of threads i read you recommand to test the wiring between relay and rear brake bulb, but i don't know how to test it.

Maybe you have another idea of what disabled the brakes light ?

Do you have juice at the tail light when you press either brake? I'd put a new bulb in when they stay on for a long time I've seen a dimple develop on the solder points of the bulb and no contact.

One thing the front brake switch is normally pressed,when you pull the brake lever it is released. What happens is when someone changes out the levers they break a small plastic head on the switch so it no longer is made,thus the brake lite is always on,or there is a metal clip that slips out of place allowing the switch to release. So if you have switch out press it and you should have only tail lamp,if pressing and releasing the switch have no effect the rear brake switch could be bad,it is just the oposite of front switch.This happened to me on a long trip my brake lite stayed on and my cruise would not work,I was able to disconnect one wire going to rear brake switch then my tail lamp operated normally as long as I used the front brake. That rear switch fails often because of heat from tail pipe. Hope that helps let us know...

Thank you for your answers guys.

@Webbtron :
I don't know if electricity arrive to the rear bulb on the brake bulb wire.
I know the tail lamp is lighten.
As the rear bulb is a special one, (one piece you have the bulb, the plastic retainer, the wires in a black plastic tube, the plastic plug) i don't know which metal connector i must touch with my voltmeter to detect if electricity arrive at the right place.
I shall take a look at my service manual. Except i have a 2005 bike and a 2002 manual. It should be the same.

@Jack Klarich :
Yes i've seen this procedure to replace the front brake switch. The plastic part which contact the metal lever looks like broken. But i can push it with my finger and it doesn't light-on the rear stop light.
Even if the front brake switch was broken, i think it shouldn't prevent the rear brake switch to do its job.

@texas tom :
I anderstand from your message your rear brake switch was guilty and by unplug it you would see your front brake switch working. In my case no brake light works at all. I can't believe the both brake switch (front and rear) are out of order in the same time.

@Jack Klarich (2) :
I created a profile on HD website and after checking, i see there is NO service recall for my bike.

@Webbtron :
Forgive my weak english speaking.
i wrote tail lamp but i'm not sure it's the name i meant.
What i mean, in other words is, in the rear bulb the is 2 function for the same bulb. One function is to have a permanent red light so other people coming from behind can see you. I'll call this the "position lamp".
The second function in the bulb is to have a red light, lighting ON, only when you brake. I'll call this the "brake lamp".

So in my rear bulb, the "position lamp" is permanent working, it is ok.
The "brake lamp" doesn't work anymore.
But when looking closely at the metal parts in the bulb, everything seems ok and not broken.

Definately not a problem, no way could I do French, so when you or a friend press either the hand or foot levers do you have a signal at the bulb socket ? Seems odd that both are out

When hand brake or foot brake are pressed, no additional light comes from the rear bulb as it should in a normal behavior.
If i disassemble the rear bulb, it is a particular harley part, and if i disconnect it from the rear fender, it remains a 4 pins connector.
I don't know which pins i shall test with my voltmeter to check if electricity is delivered to the 4 pins connector (while pressing the "handlebar front brake lever" or the "foot rear brake").

I doubt it is much different than mine I'll see what I can find. #3 wire at the rear is R/Y (red yellow). I believe Orange / white is for the international tail light. If your bike is Domestic it is BE

Back