free website stats program 2005 FLHTI no brake light | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 FLHTI no brake light

Timed out #3 is the brake light, #2 is international Tail light, #1 is Domestic Tail light. #4 is black and ground

Timed out #3 is the brake light, #2 is international Tail light, #1 is Domestic Tail light. #4 is black and ground

You have numbers on your connector ? or you start to count from left to right ?

It's late here (11:45 PM), i'll check mine tomorrow evening after back from work, and i'll compare to your indications.

Ok i've seen a wiring schema on internet for my bike.
From the rear fender to the taillamp the wiring is :
1 - running light (dom) - bew
2 - running light (hdi) - o/w
3 - brake light - r/y
4 - bk

Questions :
1 - what does (dom) mean, and what does "bew" mean ?
2 - what does (hdi) mean ? (i guess o/w stands for orange/white) ?
3 - i guess r/y stands for red/yellow ?
4 - i guess it is the ground wire, and bk means black ?

(At this time i did not compare the schema with the wire physically on my bike.)

Dom is short for domestic made for USA. BE is blue
HDI is your bike if it is an international Harley
Yes and yes

ok,

So if i believe what the manual says, as my bike is international, my rear bulb should be wired as :
1 - (empty)
2 - running light (hdi) - Orange / White
3 - brake light - Red / Yellow
4 - Ground - Black

So i should have electricity between 3 and 4 while braking.

I took a look in the schema i got from internet. The bulb part number should be 68167-88.

(
As i look at the photos, i understand it is not a whole part with plastic holder + wire + connector as i discribed earlier. It is only the bulb/lamp. I was scared to pull to hard on it when i tried to remove it from its connector so i though it was not removable from the rest.
)

AH, now I see because I was really wondering why you just didn't check the sockets contact points while you had the bulb out. Ok slightly depress (push in) the bulb and turn counterclockwise ¼ to ½ turn and it will pull out. Then you ground your test light or meter and have someone pull on the handle or step on the pedal. One contact will light up. At least that is what I hope. The other will be the running lights.

I re-read your original post and saw where you said the Brake light stayed on a very long time then quit working altogether.That happen to my sons '07 Night Train while at Sturgis in '09.What we found was the front brake lever housing to far from the main switch housing.After that was corrected the front brake light was very intermittent but would work occasionally.That problem was the socket pigtail that the bulb plugged into, that then plug into the taillight housing.With the brake light being on so long it heated the housing for the bulb and wouldn't make a good contact.We replaced the small wiring harness and solved the problem.I looked on [url=http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson.com in the parts finder section. The part # is 69187-03 for the International model.It comes with a new bulb. Yours should have the Wedge type bulb, not a 1157 which is a twist to remove. Don't know if this helps but if you are getting random readings with test light I would consider this. Also on your front switch it barely protrudes out of the hole in the switch housing.The end is rounded,if it is squared off, I'd say it was broken.With the switch pushed in the brake light would be Off, let it extend and brake light On. An easy way to keep from braking them off is to,prior to removal of the brake lever assy.,is pull the brake lever and place piece of small card about 3/16 in. thick between the lever and it's perch(normal resting point).This keeps the paddle(on lever) away from the switch end. I usually use a folded cigarette filter for that.Don't remove your cardboard until you have mounted the lever assy. back to switch assy.
Sorry for the long post.Hope this helps.
tourbox

Listen to TourBox not me. I should have looked at the manual before giving you instructions on the bulb removal. I show 68168-89A for my bulb but that clearly states it is a Domestic part. I believe you are now aware that your international bike has it's own parts just go slow and be informed before you start buying parts. Sorry I misled you and hope it is not a matter of consequence.

Back