free website stats program 2002 FLHRI Has my mechanic stumped! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 FLHRI Has my mechanic stumped!

Plenty of opinions, heh, raised more questions than answers. I put StaBil Ethanol treatment in my pressure washer, generator, all my small engines here on the farm, except the two strokes which I run dry after every use, so I will probably put a splash or two in every fill up on the RK.

You can use Stabil in the two strokes too. Running the carb dry isn't the best way to go.

Check this out why...

Winterizing the Carb - Harley Davidson Community

You can use Stabil in the two strokes too. Running the carb dry isn't the best way to go.

Check this out why...

Winterizing the Carb - Harley Davidson Community

I run the carbs dry on my two strokes. The gas/oil mixture deposits over time tend to clog the carbs. Both my Stihl and Huskvarna shops recommend it. Both shops discourage using mix over 30 days old so I never mix more gas than I will use. I had lots of problems over the years before I started following this procedure. None since so I assume it works. I use Stabil in the 4 strokes and don't drain them.

When I bought my Stihl blower and weed wacker (2 stroke) I was told to run them dry by the dealer. On everything else (4 stroke) I use stable and do not let the carb run dry and this has never failed me.

Haha, I will start by saying I am not a mechanic. I know when things don't work, and I can do basic maintenance, BUT, 2 summers ago when my husband was out of the country, my leaf blower didn't work at all. I was banged up from my dirt bike crash and frustrated. I have good neighbors so while they were out one night, I asked them to take a look at it for me.

The one guy gives it 2 pulls then proceeds to dump the gas out of it. The silly thing started right up! I couldn't believe it, and i was furious....

He put fresh gas in and told me not to use old gas anymore. :D Learned a big lesson there and haven't had any trouble since. :s

I had a oil pressure (To High) problem with my 01 Ultra, 65,000 miles. The relief valve in the cam plate would stick causing my oil pressure to peg out to plus 80 psi. oil would vent out the rocker vents and into the back plate for the stage 1 air cleaner and into the intake causing the engine to missfire from fouling the plugs. It only happened when the engine was cold. Before I repaired it I would have to let the engine warm up for about 15 minutes to get the oil hot and then it was ok. my plugs were also black. I fixed it when I replaced my cam chain tensioners. If this is your problem, there is a replacement spring you can buy for the relief valve, cheap and easy do it yourself fix. The Harley (Stealer) Dealer will tell you you have to replace the camplate, NOT.

I had a similar problem with a 1996 FLHRI, mechanic stumped and all. It turned out to be a bad fuel line check valve.

Just thought I would update this thread. Yesterday I put a new Accel Super Coil and 8mm wires hoping that would help. Not! This after replacing the engine temp sensor on the front cylinder a few months back. Maybe my imagination but it seems to start a little quicker. I have Rinehart True Duals and when it starts cold, the right pipe, front cylinder, puffs black smoke then starts spitting and sputtering and finally dies after about 10-15 seconds. If I can keep it running until it warms up, it seems to do better. Before I replaced the engine temp sensor, it was anybody's guess when it would start the spitting and sputtering and finally fuel foul the front plug. So, to date, I have replace the crank position sensor, engine temp sensor, coil, wires and 5 or 9 sets of plugs. I have tried every brand of plug out there including Split Fires and they all have fuel fouled at one time or another. I guess I am going to have to take it to the Harley dealer and hope he don't rip me off too bad. I am afraid to start out on a long trip as it. Course it's still a little too cold to take a distance ride but I want to be ready when it gets warm. So, if anyone has more suggestions, I would love to hear them! Thanks all!

Just thought I would update this thread. Yesterday I put a new Accel Super Coil and 8mm wires hoping that would help. Not! This after replacing the engine temp sensor on the front cylinder a few months back. Maybe my imagination but it seems to start a little quicker. I have Rinehart True Duals and when it starts cold, the right pipe, front cylinder, puffs black smoke then starts spitting and sputtering and finally dies after about 10-15 seconds. If I can keep it running until it warms up, it seems to do better. Before I replaced the engine temp sensor, it was anybody's guess when it would start the spitting and sputtering and finally fuel foul the front plug. So, to date, I have replace the crank position sensor, engine temp sensor, coil, wires and 5 or 9 sets of plugs. I have tried every brand of plug out there including Split Fires and they all have fuel fouled at one time or another. I guess I am going to have to take it to the Harley dealer and hope he don't rip me off too bad. I am afraid to start out on a long trip as it. Course it's still a little too cold to take a distance ride but I want to be ready when it gets warm. So, if anyone has more suggestions, I would love to hear them! Thanks all!
Fuel injector problem- again - Harley Davidson Community Have a read here, have you tried swapping the injectors?

Back