free website stats program 2002 FLHRI Has my mechanic stumped! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 FLHRI Has my mechanic stumped!

Based on what you said, check the A/C signal output of the crank sensor with a meter. The clocking signal for the entire engine management system is the crank sensor. They are not crazy expensive and on a bike w/ 70K that I planned to keep, I would just replace it.

Well folks, I give up! I sure would appreciate you continuing to send the suggestions my way.

Can't be of much help unless we get some feedback from earlier suggestions. What was the recorded output but better still was it replaced?

At the shop I cranked it up and loaded into my pickup and it ran like a sewing machine and did also when I unloaded it at home.

Now how do I test it?

What's to test? You would have to be on top of it with a meter at the time of failure. With an intermittent problem like you have, testing it is almost useless information. Those pickup are very temperature sensitive.

Basically the CKP is a sensor coil (aka "Hall effect" pickup coil) that when a spinning magnetic moves nearby, the coil generates a small electrical pulse which tells the ECM when to trigger and adjusts the duty cycle of the pulse shape to the ignition coil which fires 20,000V spark to your plug(s).

Because it is wound with very fine wire and located in a very "inhospitable" place it is common for them to breakdown due to thermal expansion and vibration...hmm heat and vibration on a Harley...?

Looks like part of the problem may have been, would you believe, bad gas? The last thing the mechanic did was to pull the tank and clean it out. I've had it home almost a week and it hasn't acted up since. Thinking back, several weeks ago, I was empty and filled up at a Sam's club. Shortly thereafter is when the problems started. I am now adding an Ethanol treatment every fill-up as added insurance, won't help water in the gas though. Unfortunately for folks in my part of the country, ethanol free gasoline is very difficult to find. I spoke with my mechanics a couple of days ago, and they brought up another possible problem we HD riders may face using premium grade gasoline. That is, very few automobiles are using premium now days. Therefore, the premium sitting out in the storage tanks might not be very fresh and stored fuel draws moisture and I don't know what else happens to aging fuel. So what to do? I asked them. All three have switched to regular gas and are adding StarTron fuel treatment. Has anyone used this product? I wonder about it. In any event, as soon as I can afford it, I will change out the CKP since it's 10 years and 69K miles old.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input. I really appreciate all the help!

hard to find desent gas around here . i use SeaFoam one oz per gal. good stuff

Good Stuff, you can use Marvel Mystery oil too, it is a good top end lube and your pump will like it:s

There has been a couple of mentions/discussions on StarTron. Do a keyword search for StarTron and you will get some opinions.

Plenty of opinions, heh, raised more questions than answers. I put StaBil Ethanol treatment in my pressure washer, generator, all my small engines here on the farm, except the two strokes which I run dry after every use, so I will probably put a splash or two in every fill up on the RK.

Back