free website stats program 2002 FLHRI Has my mechanic stumped! | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 FLHRI Has my mechanic stumped!

perzaklie

I sure hope there might me a HD tech monitoring this forum 'cause we have a problem we can't seem to solve.
2002 FLHRI 69,000 miles. No tuner.
Here's the deal: Bike has run fine for last 8 years except for a couple of times it ran rough, wouldn't Idle but cleared itself up in a few miles. Then, I started down the onramp to the interstate and just as I merged into traffic, it backfired a couple of times, coughed and started missing. I crossed over the median and limped back home. Pulled the plugs and the front plug was fouled black like too rich. Back plug was ok but too black for normal. I happened to keep last set of old plugs and compared them. Old ones nice and gray/brown color. We checked for an engine code. None. Pulled the tank off and emptied it and cleaned it out. Fresh Shell Premium gas. Now, about every 5th or 6th start-up it won't idle properly. Runs rough, exhaust smells rich, won't set a code. Checked injector wiring. The shop that has the bike is an independent but owned and operated by HD factory trained mechanic. All his mechanics are stumped. They called all the HD shops in our area and none have suggestions. One possibility, Idle Air Control??

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I sure do need some help. The bike has been down now for two weeks and we are all pulling our hair.

I sure hope there might me a HD tech monitoring this forum 'cause we have a problem we can't seem to solve.
2002 FLHRI 69,000 miles. No tuner.
Here's the deal: Bike has run fine for last 8 years except for a couple of times it ran rough, wouldn't Idle but cleared itself up in a few miles. Then, I started down the onramp to the interstate and just as I merged into traffic, it backfired a couple of times, coughed and started missing. I crossed over the median and limped back home. Pulled the plugs and the front plug was fouled black like too rich. Back plug was ok but too black for normal. I happened to keep last set of old plugs and compared them. Old ones nice and gray/brown color. We checked for an engine code. None. Pulled the tank off and emptied it and cleaned it out. Fresh Shell Premium gas. Now, about every 5th or 6th start-up it won't idle properly. Runs rough, exhaust smells rich, won't set a code. Checked injector wiring. The shop that has the bike is an independent but owned and operated by HD factory trained mechanic. All his mechanics are stumped. They called all the HD shops in our area and none have suggestions. One possibility, Idle Air Control??

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I sure do need some help. The bike has been down now for two weeks and we are all pulling our hair.
What do you have too lose. My suggestion non tech...change engine oil and include 1 pint of Marvel Mystery Oil and add an ounce or so to your gas (depending on tank capacity) and get it started again. Run it for 10 min. Worth a try.

Based on what you said, check the A/C signal output of the crank sensor with a meter. The clocking signal for the entire engine management system is the crank sensor. They are not crazy expensive and on a bike w/ 70K that I planned to keep, I would just replace it.

Based on what you said, check the A/C signal output of the crank sensor with a meter. The clocking signal for the entire engine management system is the crank sensor. They are not crazy expensive and on a bike w/ 70K that I planned to keep, I would just replace it.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that one. I do plan to keep the bike.

This MIGHT help, My issue was similar to yours....its posted on here somewhere. '03 RKC Getting worse rather than better
I'm not a mechanic nor do I claim to be a wiz at bikes, but I'm learning like a mad man.....This had the HD mechanics stumped also. Here's what I did on my own and then took her to the shop:

found the holes in the fuel line - replaced
Gummed up Fuel Filter - replaced
plugs - replaced
plug wires - replaced
TPS - replaced
Fuel Pump - I broke it doing all this - replaced
IAC - cleaned and determined good
injectors - good
Started it up....same problem

Stumped, I took her in to the shop. Injectors good, spark good. I went up to the shop and was talking to them....I mentioned I replaced the TPS sensor ( just two screws) and I put the shaft back in that came out with it.
Thats what clued them in.....there is no "shaft" that comes out with the TPS sensor. My throttle body shaft snapped in half. The TPS was holding it in place, thus causing it to act up sometimes.

Replaced the Throttle Body Shaft

Runs great now, better than ever.........

now, using the true Guru's and info on this GREAT site, I am attacking the Inner Primary Leak tonight. I'm actually looking forward to it.

This MIGHT help, My issue was similar to yours....its posted on here somewhere. '03 RKC Getting worse rather than better
I'm not a mechanic nor do I claim to be a wiz at bikes, but I'm learning like a mad man.....This had the HD mechanics stumped also. Here's what I did on my own and then took her to the shop:

found the holes in the fuel line - replaced
Gummed up Fuel Filter - replaced
plugs - replaced
plug wires - replaced
TPS - replaced
Fuel Pump - I broke it doing all this - replaced
IAC - cleaned and determined good
injectors - good
Started it up....same problem

Stumped, I took her in to the shop. Injectors good, spark good. I went up to the shop and was talking to them....I mentioned I replaced the TPS sensor ( just two screws) and I put the shaft back in that came out with it.
Thats what clued them in.....there is no "shaft" that comes out with the TPS sensor. My throttle body shaft snapped in half. The TPS was holding it in place, thus causing it to act up sometimes.

Replaced the Throttle Body Shaft

Runs great now, better than ever.........

now, using the true Guru's and info on this GREAT site, I am attacking the Inner Primary Leak tonight. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Hey, thanks! I will definitely check both the TPS and throttle body shaft.

I am wondering if possibly the ECM is faulty? Has anyone had any experience with the ECM going bad in these early 2000's Twin Cams?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you not be getting a check engine light with numerous odd codes?????

Would you not be getting a check engine light with numerous odd codes?????

No check engine light, no codes. That's what has us ALL stumped.

Let me edit that statement. When it first (EDIT)
out on me on the interstate two weeks ago Monday Nov 7, the engine light came on but only stayed a half minute or so then went off. After I limped back home, changed plugs and checked what I could it seemed to run better but would not idle. I hauled it to the shop in Little Rock on Thursday Nov 10 and it's been there since. The engine light would come on periodically while it was trying to idle but would not stay on. There were no codes stored when it was scanned. Now the mechanics are telling me it will run start and run ok. Then after the test ride, they start it up, let it idle and maybe the 4th or 5th start up, it starts running rough and dies. It is periodic. Not steady. If the (EDIT)
thing would do it every time, we could nail it down.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back