free website stats program 2000 Road King with Sidecar Stops Running/Won't Start | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Road King with Sidecar Stops Running/Won't Start

I have mix up codes 41 & 42. You can still use the harness plug as a break out box.

Another case of not starting. Owner replaced the regulator and the bike would not start. The kps wire was pinched under the regulator mount. Trace that wire for a pinched or bare spot. It also runs to the rear under the right side cover.

Ajark,
Thanks for writing back.
My manual shows a DTC code 41 as the crankshaft position sensor, not the cam position sensor. The bike also showed a code 56 which indicates that there is a ckps and cps signal error, as well as a code 44, Bank Angle Sensor.

I could just go buy all three sensors and hook them up, but that seems just a little premature without knowing what set the codes off and is now preventing the engine from starting and running, even after clearing the codes from the ECM.

The manual says to start with the lowest code first and work your way up. That would mean replacing the crank position sensor, first; then the Bank Angle Sensor and finally, the cam position sensor. Does this seems like a prudent strategy to you?

It still seems a bit too coincidental that a bike that ran flawlessly for a decade just up and quits 4 miles into the inaugural run after connecting a sidecar with a brake wire failure in the harness.

Are there any sidecar experts who know the real ins and outs of harley sidecars and any known electrical connection issues, fuel shut down issues, etc?

Thanks again for any help or light that can be shed.

Lyle

Code 41 usually means the crank position sensor is grounded. Trace that wire for a pinch or bare wire. Use the wire harness plug as a break out box and follow the trouble shooting flow chart.

Thanks Ajayrk.
I'm hoping to get another look at the wiring again this weekend if the ambient temperature stays above freezing up here in Minnesota. The concrete floor gets a tad chilly in my unheated garage, even with my old space heater in the mix!

I'll let you know what I discover...

Lyle

Back