free website stats program 00-03 HD Codes And Activation | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

00-03 HD Codes And Activation

Yea Mr. Data...I had the same issue....I used the female spade to connect the 1 and 2 terminals in the datalink port and never got any engine code blinks...nothing...and it was right after the Speedo/VSS did its zero mph thing. It clearly has a code being sent as it occurs but I could not get anything to display using the datalink immediately afterwards. Could it possibly need to bridge other terminals in the datalink port...besides #1 and # 2?

If the system won't produce any codes then what? The last time the code appeared while riding was July 17th, since then I have not completed 50 cycles. I tried to pull the codes last night but was unsuccessful. I jumped the #1 and #2 with a red connector, fit perfectly. I turned the switch, Fork Lock/Off/Ignition/Access, to Ignition. The red Key light illuminated then went off. Then, I thought I might have done it wrong, I turned everything off, kept the jumper in, turned the switch to ignition, turn the Stop/Run to Run. The Check Engine light came on, then went off, then came back on for 4-6 seconds then went off. After that nothing.

When I get ready to start for riding, the check engine light comes on as it normally would, then goes off for about 4 seconds then comes back on for 4-6 seconds then goes out. This indicates a stored historical code correct?

Thanks,
Jeff
Hey Jeff..Im wondering if you ever got any further with the code problem....I also could never get my 03 FLSTSI to produce the codes..even immediately after displaying a code while riding. It was obvious that the bike was experiencing a problem and would send a code as it occurred but I cant ever get it to display so I can troubleshoot it...anyone else have anything similiar...thanks....Tim

I had the same problem with light and I had wrong connector the one is marked data link and is on right side of bike under side cover. Also I read to turn swith on and leave on for 4 seconds and shut off then turn on and then it worked. I don't know why but it did.good luck hopefully that will work for you also.

I tried the self diagnostic procedures listed (the one without jumping terminals) and got zero code redouts.
My speedo will be fine until the engine heats up and then drops to zero, or it starts reading slower speeds then drops to zero. That effects the turn signals (won't cancel) and who knows what all, which is quite aggravating to say the least. I think it's heat related but I'm not sure, still no codes of any kind coming out.........suggestions please?

Ahhhh my HD Savior Mr. Data lol.......thanks! I'll rig up a jumper and get the codes. Geez I'll bet my sensor looks as bad as that one in the picture, a double quilted Porcupine! The thing never goes out unless I see a cop with radar aimed at me ya know.

I also have a problem getting the codes from the check engine lamp diagnostics. I have a 2003 Deuce that runs fine but after 10-15 miles of riding I get a check engine light that stays on until I shut off the engine. When I start the engine the check engine light comes on for 4 seconds, then off for 4 and back on for 6 seconds indicating an historic fault. When I short pins 1 & 2 (green/red stripe wire and black wire) on the data connector and turn on the run switch and the ignition switch the check engine light comes on for 4 seconds, off for 4 seconds and back on for 6 seconds. However, I get no coded flashing after that. I jumped pins 1 & 2 with two receptacle contacts H-D part number 72191-94 attached by their carrier strip and bent to get the correct spacing to mate with the pins. I bought them from the dealer for $1.40. Being unable to retrieve the codes is puzzling, because this is the procedure outlined in the H-D service manual and clearly there is an historic code present due to the on-off-on startup lamp sequence. Does anyone have a suggestion other than heading to the dealer for a scan?

There's been a few times when people have troubles with this procedure in the past.

Make sure of the run/kill switch position and try again but read this step again.

c. Turn Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION and wait approximately 10 seconds (4 seconds lamp ON, 6 seconds lamp OFF) for check engine lamp to start flashing.

Mr. Data, thanks for quick reply.
Procedure was:
1. Short pin 1 & 2 in data connector.
2. Turn RUN switch to ON. (If not set to ON, Check Engine Lamp does not light.)
3. Turn ignition/accessory switch to IGNITION. (At this point engine is ready to START.)
4. Wait, 4 seconds lamp on, 4-5 seconds lamp off, and then...lamp on for 6 seconds then off.
Check engine lamp does NOT flash.
I see no difference between this procedure and the one that you outlined or the one written in the service manual.

Back