free website stats program 00-03 HD Codes And Activation | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

00-03 HD Codes And Activation

Usually if no codes flash after doing the proper procedure, then there are no codes stored to retrieve. There are a few instances where a problem may not store a code too.

I tried engine lamp diagnostics method this morning. There was still no flash code. I just returned from dealer where error code was read with H-D Digital Technician. Error was ECM flash error (53?). Re-flashed ECM and cleared error code. Interesting side, the technician told me that the ECM did not have the VIN stored and that he had to input it manually. Hopefully this fixes the problem, the next move on reoccurrence is to replace ECM$$$.

Maybe someone can research this a bit more to double check me. I have the 2000 FLT service manual. I tried the jumper wire in the data link to retrieve code and all I did was blow a fuse and got no flashing light. Did some looking thru the manual and found that the jumper wire procedure was for "carbed" models. The procedure for "injected" models is
1. run switch "on"
2. Turn ign. switch on for 3 sec., off for 3 sec. and repeat. After second set of 3 on and 3 off, turn switch to "on".
No jumper wire needed for the injected model. I don't know if this applies to the '01, '02, and '03.:)

There sure is alot of good info on this site, I just got home last nite and havn't had a chance to fix my speedo, I got in last weekend on Saturday and had to leave out on Sunday.. If our HD shop is open tomorrow I'll put a new sensor on and hopfully that will fix me up.. Tom

My -99 Road King has the engine light on. Reading and foolwing the instructions in Magnetti Morelli codes.pdf, seems to work, so might be correct also for a -99. I get codes 24 and 56, and is wondering how to track down the 24 (Front Ignition Coil). The engine light is on constantly, so should be a current code. Is Magnetti Morelli codes.pdf from the H-D service manual? I bought it on eBay yesterday, but it will take a couple of weeks to reach me in Sweden, so asking here if anybody knows how to trouble shoot the front ignition coil. It is supposed to be described on page 9-65.

Have you visably checked the coil for cracks etc?

Also take a look at the plug wire for that cylinder to make sure it is properly attached at the plug and the tip of the plug where the wire attaches is screwed on tightly. You should get a "click" when pushing on the plug wire onto thew plug.

Thanks for the reply!
No, will do a visual inspection. I guess the petrol tank has to come off first. Is it possible to measure the resistance in the coil?

I should mention that it runs flawlessly, it is just the engine light that indicates something is wrong.

Back