free website stats program Worthless headlight. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Worthless headlight.

Funny! I was told that a higher watt bulb would stress the electric system and overheat the wires! Is there any truth to this?

I was told that if I kept making that face it would freeze like that:p:small3d012:

LOL wildspirit. I wasn't told about that but I've seen more than dozen of times on car's headlights with higher wattage than recommended melted wires and the sockets right at the connector.

Glider has said it was because of poor connection that caused heat and that's true and he also been use that light bulb on his bike for awhile w/o any problem but I'm still hesitated to install mine, the last thing I wanted is to see my light bulb went out at night because of higher than recommeded wattage bulb used on mine, I may put it on late on though.

I have one in my 2007 Softail Standard, and a friend of mine has one in his 08 Fatboy. I haven't had a problem, and I've been running mine for about 15,000 miles so far. It really does make a huge difference when ridding on dark back roads. I don't think there's an actual "wattage" difference in the bulbs, but if there is it's minimal.

I have one in my 2007 Softail Standard, and a friend of mine has one in his 08 Fatboy. I haven't had a problem, and I've been running mine for about 15,000 miles so far. It really does make a huge difference when ridding on dark back roads. I don't think there's an actual "wattage" difference in the bulbs, but if there is it's minimal.
Have you taken the headlight out since then to look at the plug? I ask this because I had baught one of those blue colored lights that was still 55/60 watt but it was stated that the color was hotter or something like that, but anyway my bulb burned out and when i pulled it out the plug was discolored from heat(allmost melted).That got me a little worried and i put the regular light back in. If you dont mind,when you get a chance, could you look at yours and report back on the condition of your plug and wires? I did the math on the 80/100 watt and it draws about 3.3 more amps on high beam than the 55/60 watt.

Have you taken the headlight out since then to look at the plug? I ask this because I had baught one of those blue colored lights that was still 55/60 watt but it was stated that the color was hotter or something like that, but anyway my bulb burned out and when i pulled it out the plug was discolored from heat(allmost melted).That got me a little worried and i put the regular light back in. If you dont mind,when you get a chance, could you look at yours and report back on the condition of your plug and wires? I did the math on the 80/100 watt and it draws about 3.3 more amps on high beam than the 55/60 watt.

I have looked and it looks fine, but I'll do one better and get a picture when I get a chance and post it on here for ya.:s Don't ya think you should blow a fuse before you melt your wires:dknow

It'll not blows a fuse because it's not shorted together, it's just too hot that melts the wires to the piont but not shorted just yet.

Thanks for the confirmed on your softail and milages of use, that alone will give me piece of mind when I put mine on.

I have looked and it looks fine, but I'll do one better and get a picture when I get a chance and post it on here for ya.:s Don't ya think you should blow a fuse before you melt your wires:dknow
I would like to get a brighter light but wasnt sure if it cause problems as time went on. Dont want to screw anything up in my electrical system. (charging system)

I would like to get a brighter light but wasnt sure if it cause problems as time went on. Dont want to screw anything up in my electrical system. (charging system)

One brighter headlight replacement is gonna put a lot less extra draw on your charging system than an extra light bar. Or you could just ride around with your brights on all the time.:p

Hey Glider I'm new to this also. I took your advice and ordered the Osram 80/100 for my '08 Dyna Wideglide, but I too am concerned about the wiring melting etc. Haven't put it in yet since it's about -12 degrees here..no hurry. I really want to be as visible as I can be. Will this really be better than the 55/60 Osram that's already in my headlight?

Back