free website stats program Worthless headlight. | Harley Davidson Forums

Worthless headlight.

LittleKim

First, I'm a newbie. Bought my first bike last fall (Nov.); it's a 2007 FXDL. I have about 3,300 miles on it now. I love my bike but am disappointed in the factory headlight (very poor!). This doesn't make me happy with HD because I see this as a big safety issue and find it hard to believe they would sell a bike with such a poor headlight.

I read many, if not all, the threads concerning headlights and bulbs... so I went out and purchased a NAPA BP1210/H4 bulb; 80 W low-beam, 100 W high-beam. Huge improvement! I'm concerned about safety and want to be visible, therefore, I ride with my high-beam on almost all the time; day or night. I have a single headlight with no driving lights. Shortly, about 4 to 6 weeks, after purchasing the bulb it blew-out, at night, and I was stranded.

Now the question: now what do I do? I'm considering getting a H.I.D. headlight. The down side to that is the price, but I really want to see at night! Or, do I get another bulb? Or, do I add driving lights of some type; if so, what would look good on a low rider?

I know there are many, many years of experience on this site so I'm eager to get feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Go here and order the third one down, you'll love me for it. :D

I've run these in quite a few bikes as well as my buddies and we swear by them. It's like daylight. Broad flat beam that lights up road signs on the side as well as in front. Then adjust your light height to the proper height or slightly above like I do. You will not believe them.:s

Main Window
(Bulb, H4 Halogen, 80/100 watt.) $11.58

I would try another bulb if you really liked it. Also be careful not to touch the bulb itself when you install it. This will surely shorten the lifespan.

Go back and ask NAPA to stand behind the product for either a replacement or refund.????!! 4-6 weeks after purchase and it goes out!!!!

Back in the days of more vibration & less reliability, I got in the habit of always packing a spare headlight and tailight bulb carefully wrapped and tucked away.
Got me back home safely at night on many occasions.

OK... I'll try another bulb.

glider - I ordered two bulbs from the site you suggested. How do I properly adjust my headlight (aim)?

smitty901 - I am really aware of "over driving" headlights so that is not an issue. Good advice though...

I will really be careful not to touch the bulb so I can eliminate that as a problem.

Thanks everyone for the input.

OK... I'll try another bulb.

glider - I ordered two bulbs from the site you suggested. How do I properly adjust my headlight (aim)?

Thanks everyone for the input.

Usually the mount on your bike should be loosened and the headlight assembly moved to the different position, if not, then remove the headlight ring with the screw at the bottom and the adjusters are in there for up and down as well as left and right. Usually raising the light would require a few turns IN on the top screw if this is the setup you have. Give it a try and you may want to raise it a bit more. It doesn't take much.

Go here and order the third one down, you'll love me for it. :D

I've run these in quite a few bikes as well as my buddies and we swear by them. It's like daylight. Broad flat beam that lights up road signs on the side as well as in front. Then adjust your light height to the proper height or slightly above like I do. You will not believe them.:s

Main Window
(Bulb, H4 Halogen, 80/100 watt.) $11.58

They changed their website! Here's the new link H4 bulb

Last edited:
Back