free website stats program Wiring question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wiring question

Chopper introduced a Deltran wire harness for $19.00 that has a 12V Covered Accessory outlet to 6-8 ft fused wires to dual plug that fits the Battery Tender pigtail plug that goes to your battery. An alternative is the Kuryakyn 12V Power Point that mounts on your handlebar, but is $69 if memory serves. I made my own Deltran-like harness using H-D Acccessory outlet (for Touring bikes) $18 and wiring it to Deltran pigtail using heatshrink tubing, but make sure you check polarity so that 12V is fused and goes to the center pin of the 12V receptacle.:D

Chopper introduced a Deltran wire harness for $19.00 that has a 12V Covered Accessory outlet to 6-8 ft fused wires to dual plug that fits the Battery Tender pigtail plug that goes to your battery. An alternative is the Kuryakyn 12V Power Point that mounts on your handlebar, but is $69 if memory serves. I made my own Deltran-like harness using H-D Acccessory outlet (for Touring bikes) $18 and wiring it to Deltran pigtail using heatshrink tubing, but make sure you check polarity so that 12V is fused and goes to the center pin of the 12V receptacle.:D

Now Chopper's setup sounds very good (although I've already purchased all my current needs). I guess (as you said) he had them 'fuseable' to protect each 'item' added electronic item from overload damage that might occur from less amps than the 15 amp fused circuit that the Cust Accy plug already has.

Like last year when I first installed my Lenale fan I wired it straight from the battery and ground. I asked Lenale what fuse it needed and he said most folks just utilize the 15amp prefused available O/W wire OR use the Cust Accy plug which is also fused at 15amp. But I fused mine at 7.5 amps from the battery. On the fan granted in a short occurance a 15 fuse is gonna blow before the fan but not always so on electronic items.

Back