free website stats program Wiring question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wiring question

Thanks for clearing that up. You did mean to clear that up right?:lolrolling

Well, if I didn't clear it up any I figured I would add to the confusion :lolrolling

tn563s3.jpg

What a strange and somewhat informative thread.

Well that is an interesting observation. Admittedly I was learning as I went and yes it was quite confusing tracking down the part numbers and actual characteristics offered for purchase. And in fact Glider's diagram is obviously for Touring models and it does not show a hot all the time lead so that agrees with my Dyna schematics except for wire colors.

Here is my summation of which I have gathered from many different sources.

1.The (on bike) Dyna Cust Accy plug #72104-94BK has the following wires, black is ground, the two o/r wires are switched to ignition, r/y 'adds' rear lighting items.

The additional purchase #70264-94A add on pigtail unit comes with two pigtails and plugs into the above #72104-94BK.

------------
2. The (also on bike) Dyna P&A Battery (aka B+ connector) #72260-04 is fed from the TSSM battery terminal and is hot all the time and has one single red positive wire.

The additional purchase #70270-04 add on pigtail unit comes with 3 pigtails and can be also used for additional accessory items, but ground must be created and inline switches installed if hot all the time not desired. This plugs into the #72260-04 shown above..

------------

3. In addition, part number 91843-97 is a cigarette lighter type power outlet with a waterproof end cap. Can be used with gps etc. Approximately 12inches of cable included, and plugs into the above #72104-94BK (or pigtail #70264-94A thereof).
------------

If you don't like splicing into OEM harness wires (which I don't) then you will need this information one day. I just got through cleaning up a mess of spliced in wiring done on my bike before I owned it. I replaced one section of the harness totally. ANY time I can I will use the above plugged scenarios to link ANY and all accessories (up to the maximum fused amperage) avoiding cutting and splicing into the OEM harness.

Very through and exceptionally well thought out. Here! Here!

Very through and exceptionally well thought out. Here! Here!

uh hmm, well to be very 'thorough' instead of 'through' :lolrolling

As far as well thought out, NOT, I apologize for the early rambling format, but was hoping one of you knowledgable guys would jump in save my ignorance. I think I do have it now though. :cheers (with the help of the internet and 2 other forums).

Can't wait to get it all back together and ride again. My biggest challenge now is carefully sanding all traces of the black paint off my master cylinder and then sanding it smooth back up thru the grits and then polishing it. It's hard to hold and shows to be a difficult task. But if I repaint it, it's only gonna peel again someday. Maybe I will win the lottery and buy an all chrome one.

R W B

Interesting that on different models the wiring has different color codes. When I added the running lights to my FXSTC, the accesories plug had 3 wires going into it, gray, black, yellow. I tested each and only 1 was hot with the key on, the yellow one. I didn't want to splice into the harness, instead I pulled the wire from the plug and connected the lights to it. Later if I decide to add anything else, it will still be intact.

RWB,

Are you creating questions in a thread and answering yourself? Just wondering............:lolrolling

Bodeen

RWB
don't worry Dave it's ok, i have two sister inlaws that talk to them selves as well. :lolrolling:lolrolling

R W B Interesting that on different models the wiring has different color codes. Yes the colors are different.

RWB
don't worry Dave it's ok, i have two sister inlaws that talk to them selves as well. :lolrolling:lolrolling

Yep, when nobody else is listening it helps. There is some sort of keylogger tracking my typing and it's terribly slow so gonna have to get off for now.

Just one more thing on here, I found today that one could just purchase the following male insert;
HD#------------------DESCRIPTION---------------LOCAL PRICE
72114-94BK--SEALED SOCKET HOUSING----------4.50---(ACTUAL HOUSING OF CONNECTOR W/ LOCK PLATE)
72154-94----SECONDARY LOCK, 4 SOCKET--------.70---(WEATHER SEAL)
72191-94----STAMPED AND FORMED SOCKET-----4.00---(PACK OF 4 CRIMP PINS)

With this you could plug into your Cust Accy plug and just run wire out and then into 'whatever' pigtail you want to make up, be it Molex, Duestch or
Delphi connectors. I personally like the smaller 2 wire Delphi weather pack connectors. Course somethings require the pigtail since they come with the male insert already on it.

Back