free website stats program Windows7 | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windows7

My laptop came with vista preinstalled so i tried it for a couple of weeks but wasnt too happy with the way it performed or made simple thing difficult especially in the network and sharing centre
so i wiped it and installed xp pro now i can go to any clients site quickly change settings and join their domain if i need to
just built a new pc for the house got a quad core processor and a fast video card and most of the power is available for my use as i installed xp on it however for some tasks i have me on 1 pc dual boot with xp and at work my pc (my own) is dual boot 98 and xp i only installed the xp so that i could acess ntfs on other peoples hard drives for data recovery and virus removal perhaps one day ill move on but while it works for me ill stay with it

Brian

I think most of the people having problems with it are most likely trying to run the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit.
If your computer has a dual core 64 bit processor I think anyone used to Vista will LOVE Windows 7

Well that may be my problem. I am not running a 64 bit machine. It is a powerful 32 bit but I have not stepped up to the 64 yet.
So I guess once I get all the Chrome Bling I need, the computer is next.:p

Hoop!

I'm actually one of the fools that went to Vista and tried to make it work instead of going back to XP... Went ahead and tried the beta releases of 7 when they came out, and must say I actually really like it- pretty much what Vista should have been.

Exactly scts.....:s

Works fine i have watch and recorded many a run to see the differences my last run was 6wks ago, i recorded a complete ride to work (15mins) to see the open and closed 02 sensor switching was working and yep it was :D

Thanks for the Feedback. Now I really am confused why it would not work with my computer using XP.

Hoop!

i dont know why yours is not working Hoop i use an earlier version of XP which is only running service pack one as its not connected to the net its used for data logging and engine mapping only and was one of the 1st XP based laptops in the UK

mind i dont have issue with my mini laptop either and thats on SP3

have you got the latest SE maps and software installed?

Yep, sure do. It sure is a crazy problem. As soon as I installed Vista, everything displayed like it should. I then got the Tool bar and I was able to run a saved VCI data recording. That kinda had me convinced it was not hardware related. I usually can fix most PC problems but this one has me foiled. I was convinced it was a XP compatibility issue but your feedback proves that to be wrong. At this point I am just glad I have it working because as you know that VCI recording feature is a GREAT feature to have.

Thanks again, Hoop!

I think most of the people having problems with it are most likely trying to run the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit.
If your computer has a dual core 64 bit processor I think anyone used to Vista will LOVE Windows 7

Wildspirit, I am running the 32 bit version on my laptop and have no problems. The only person I personally know that had any problems was my sister when she tried to run the 64 bit version. I tend to think there are a lot more variables involved than just this. It is a complicated system and just too many unknowns to deal with except on a case-by-case basis. I'd rather sit down with you and have a cold one than try to work out a buggy computer. :cheers

Anything would be better than Vista, I know it refused to work with a lot of "older" software, Microsofts way to get everyone to buy new programs I guess. For what its worth The FAA and a lot of other govt. users refused to buy anything with Vista on it and worked a deal with Dell, their major supplier to reto-fit the new buy laptops with XP, which seems to work just fine...most of my software geek friends are sticking with XP for the time being. Every time Microsoft upgrades systems means problems for the end user.

Wildspirit, I am running the 32 bit version on my laptop and have no problems. The only person I personally know that had any problems was my sister when she tried to run the 64 bit version. I tend to think there are a lot more variables involved than just this. It is a complicated system and just too many unknowns to deal with except on a case-by-case basis. I'd rather sit down with you and have a cold one than try to work out a buggy computer. :cheers
I agree with all that. especially the cold one part! :cheers
There's lots of variables for sure, Motherboards, network cards, Ram, processors, video cards, sound cards, etc. all have to work together with the computer, operating system and the the BIOS to have a good stable system. With computer technology getting smaller and faster everyday all that gets more and more important.

As Bud says, Vista running on a fairly new machine will run okay...just don't forget to have minimum 4Gig of memory (3Gig is actually the "effective" memory resources available when you install the two sticks (if you have 3 or 4 memory slots on your mothter board) consider it a gift, for future expansion only for running 64Bit mode and latest BIOS and point release upgrades may be able to use that real estate if you add more memory. Can only "hope" Windows 7 will do better, but I would wait on that...!

Last edited:
Back