free website stats program Windows7 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windows7

So; am I to understand that my Windows 98 is obsolete already?

David, Windows 98 support was gone over a year ago...where have you been? :lolrolling Rare will be the program that lasts for 10 years...XP users...April 09 was the last official support date...only real support is going to corporate enterprise networks, and those savvy enough to do their own IT if they have enough site licenses.

Last edited:
I was using XP and was really getting use to it. I then purchased SERT and it says that it works with both XP and Visa. Could NOT and I mean NOT get it to work with XP. Had to install Visa and then it worked Great.

The SERT did work on XP with the exception of 1 feature. After recording a Road Street Dyno recording using the VCI, I could Not play back the recording on my PC. The bottom Task bar (Select, Play,) would Not display using XP Pro.
Even installed the lastest version of NET frames. Still would Not work. Even wiped the hard disk and re-installed a ground up base Version of XP service pack 2. Installed all updates, still would not work.
Once I loaded Visa (which I can't stand) the VCI playback feature worked flawless. Using XP ALL other features (re-flashing ECM, selecting a MAP, Modifying a MAP, etc) worked fine. Just the playback of a VCI recording would not work. I could save the VCI playbacks to the hard drive. Just had no way to select, load and play a recording. It drove me crazy for 2 weeks.
Was about to give up. Tried VISA and all was well. Got me.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I would really like to know.

Hoop!:p

Opps sorry. I meant to say the Screaming Eagle Pro Super Race tuner kit, not SERT.

The one that includes the CD, cable, VCI interface with red light. I get confused and the nicknames for each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

I read an interview of Bill Gates several years ago while he was in Indonesia. The guy asked him if he considered GNU/Linux to be competition. Bill laughed and said no, their main competition was the folks who already have Windows of some flavor and are satisfied with it. It makes it that much harder for them (MS) to convince them (competitors) to buy an upgrade.

Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia looks informative with maybe not so much hype.

- Hoop my SE kit works fine on XP?

Hobbit,
Have you actually mounted your VCI interface to your handlebars, performed a VCI recording of your bike in motion, transferred the recording to your PC, and then loaded and played it back from your PC to watch it on your monitor?
If you have, now I am REALLY puzzled. I actually low level formatted the entire drive, reloaded XP Pro Service pack 2, pulled in all XP updates to (I believe) Service Pack 3, installed the Latest version of Windows NET frames, installed a fresh load of the Screaming Eagle software, installed all updates to the Screaming Eagle software, my VCI was already at the latest firmware version,, and it still would Not display that needed task bar..
I even tried doing the above proceedure without loading NET frames, and it still would not show the task bar. I even tried the entire proceedure without updating XP to Service pack 3, and still the same problem. I even tried the entire proceedure without updating the Screaming Eagle software to the latest version,, and Still had the same problem.

That Task bar to "LOAD, PLAY, REWIND, FF", a VCI recording was still not on my monitor screen.! But Everything else was fine. I even tried mouse clicking where the Task bar should have been if it was there (thinking just the video icon was missing but the hot key coordinates were still internally present), nope, still no good. The Screaming Eagle software was the ONLY software installed on the computer at the time. For 2 weeks I was on a mission. I bet I spent 50 hours trying to get that task bar to appear. I was totally stumped. So for 1 last try, I formatted the drive 1 more time and install a Full Home/basic version (not the upgrade version) of Visa, installed the Screaming Eagle software and Boom, it worked fine.

I wrote the entire process off to SERT not being Fully compatible with XP. Please let me know what your experience was like while using XP & playing out a VCI recording. (if you have done that part of Closed Course advanced tuning).

Thanks Very much, Hoop!

I'm actually one of the fools that went to Vista and tried to make it work instead of going back to XP... Went ahead and tried the beta releases of 7 when they came out, and must say I actually really like it- pretty much what Vista should have been.

I'm actually one of the fools that went to Vista and tried to make it work .

Don't call yourself a Fool. You TRUSTED Microsoft. You Trusted Microsoft to deliver a ready and easy to use product that was suppose to be debugged.
Vista will take a Screaming fast computer (hardware wise) and take it to its knees. That is not your fault.

Vista will take a Screaming fast computer (hardware wise) and take it to its knees. That is not your fault.

so true, Vista does work well, but will not play nice with your older devices. my scanner, camera even my sound card had driver problems in vista sitting idle its using 2.3gb of ram. open a few apps and it soars from there, not good. (sticking with XP sounds like a great plan if what your doing now works,why fix it?)
Ive been running windows 7 for a few months (evaluation copy 7100) i must say i really like it, things seem to really move along nicely I haven't attempted to install scanner and them types of toys yet, but what i have done works. If i were to buy a new machine in the future having it come with windows 7 would be fine by me.
right now i have triple boot options when windows starts:
1. older version of windows (xp- i use this when i want every thing to work)
2. windows 7 (play around online and running games on this)
3. Vista 32 bit Ultimate (this is getting dusty wasting space)

if it wasn't for the games i play I would be looking into Linux flavors. getting simple things to work on them OS's can be a challenge also.

my point: so far i really like windows 7 (might not be for an older machine though)

Guess I don't understand the problems. I bought my current laptop about 2 years ago, and it came with Vista. I have never had any problems with it and all of my devices worked just fine. Did not have to call anybody, buy any new hardware, pull my hair out (what little there is) to get anything to work, no driver issues, etc. So what's not to like about it?

So what's not to like about it?

For me it was a few things. Way too much built in security. And because of it, it will take a Hardware Rocket and turn it into a snail. With the computer at IDLE, the hard drive light is buzzing away like crazy.... encrypting and backing up ever move you make.
The way it comes out of the box you will have 5 minute boots. The only way I could get it to even be acceptable, was to go into MSCONFIG => Services=> and turn off all those background programs that "are protecting me & my computer from myself ".
Another thing Microsoft did was hide everything vital to the operating system.
You can't even explore some folders to search for a file. I love the internal program called "Defender" that is always running in the background. It's Nothing but a memory hog. Then the other background program called "Prefetch". What is that suppose to do? Is that Microsoft's version of fuzzy logic to outsmart my next move?
Bill Gates forgot who's computer this really is.

Only way to really see what I mean would be to take the same computer you now have and put XP on it.

Hoop!

Guess I don't understand the problems. I bought my current laptop about 2 years ago, and it came with Vista. I have never had any problems with it and all of my devices worked just fine. Did not have to call anybody, buy any new hardware, pull my hair out (what little there is) to get anything to work, no driver issues, etc. So what's not to like about it?
the problems come when you take an older computer with a slower processor and try to run Vista. I think most of the people having problems with it are most likely trying to run the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit.
If your computer has a dual core 64 bit processor I think anyone used to Vista will LOVE Windows 7

Back