free website stats program Why did you Buy a "Harley" | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why did you Buy a "Harley"

When I first Started to ride I bought a 1969 Hardtail that had been crashed,cut the frame and welded it back together using the front collar from a honda 550-4 stretched the honda forks and rode it for a year till it broke my leg trying to start it.Swore I would never get another.then I got the urge and bought an AMF, Swore I would never get another.Now I have bought my 07 EGC I've ridden it 12000. miles this year and I know now why I bought a Harley. It's the only bike for me.

Because I wanted one. I'm like a big (edit) kid the only thing thats different is that my toys cost a lot more, and i don't stop whining begging and pleading until I get what i want. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up on bikes,have had everything from one lungers ,to twos ,threes and fours .H1 H2 3cyls ,xs's, acouple of harleys' 70's? superglide .96 electraglide.bought a vtx 1800 last year ,and love it .just sold my electraglide because I didn't ride it ..bought a Titan with a 96" S&S for a bar hopper.but anytime I meet someone new and they find out I ride ,they ask have you got a Harley .Today I don't .will probably get another one soon .but I think I'm going to get an old one ,and make it mine (old school).If and when they (harley)gets their big cube motors sorted out ,maybe I'll get a newer one .I ride almost everyday ,yearound. Harley should spend more time developing bikes,not lifesyles.Most of my riding friends are on Harleys and none can keep up with my vtx
I think a lot of people buy Harleys for the name. JMO

I don't know why but it won't happen again. My 08 Ultra leaves a lot to be desired. I am gonna buy an older FL for my around town bike but my new replacement for my 08 Ultra for all day touring is a BMW K1200LT.

Always was fascinated with Harley's, when I finally bought a bike there was no doubt.

Same here. I earned my motorcycle endorsement through a safe riders' course that used small Hondas. The Honda was easy to handle, but, when ready to buy, the wife and I only had one question. Which Harley to buy, not which make to buy. We fell in love with the Heritage and that is what we bought.

I don't know why but it won't happen again. My 08 Ultra leaves a lot to be desired. I am gonna buy an older FL for my around town bike but my new replacement for my 08 Ultra for all day touring is a BMW K1200LT.

There are a lot of good reasons to get the BMW...it is after all made for "spirited" sport touring and is the "weapon" of choice when two-up especially in Europe. Why not keep both? I know we all would miss VibratinHarley here...and for a relaxed and long two-up riding pace your Ultra is probably hard to beat.! Heck, I sometimes jump on my gals lil' 50cc scoot for quick groceries or short hops to the hardware store... I know it looks kinda funny with my "Harley" helmet ("--l-look over there...must be a p-p-poser")...it works! :bigsmiley11:

Last edited:
I bought my '81 superglide last month for $1,800. Super deal, bike runs good (now) and rides great. First bike.
I am in love again

As a fellow Ultra rider, (MUCH older, a 2003), I'm really curious as to why you are so disappointed.....it sounds like I might now want to spend the money to upgrade to a new/newer Ultra.....please tell us why you are so upset about yours?

Now in answer to the question in this thread, I've been riding Harley's for almost 40 years....when I was a kid it wasn't the "only" choice, like we all feel now, (well, ALMOST all, obviously). A lot of guys rode english bikes ...Triumphs, BSA's....and Indians and Moto Guzzi's.....so I thought all those were great bikes and owned a few here and there, but always came back to Harley, many times within a couple months and sometimes weeks! (All of us did a LOT of "horse trading" back then and changed vehicles incredible often!)

As the years have gone by, I've looked at Victory and other USA brands, but again, always stick with The Brand!

I do like Harleys and have rode them for the last 15 years but I don't like my 08 Ultra and can't wait for it to be gone. I might still consider a 2009 as the changes that were done do make it a better bike. I have another two months to decide as 08 is still in shop for crash repairs. (frame bent)

Back