free website stats program Why did you Buy a "Harley" | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why did you Buy a "Harley"

After riding and racing Jap and Italian bikes for 40 years, I finally purchased my first H-D in 2003. Now on my 3rd H-D and would never go back, ever.

THE SOUND, THE LOOK, THE TRADITION, THE LIFESTYLE............IT'S THE WHOLE PACKAGE.

Kind of had the decision made for me, actually.

Been riding for 5 years (started later in life) and had 6 bikes or so. Mostly all Honda's with one Suzuki. Most of them older, but in good shape.

Started with a Honda VLX600 that was basically not suited to me. The monoshock killed my back, it only had 4 gears, and it was only a 600. So I started swapping up - all of them in-line fours. I started to realize how much I missed the torque of a V-Twin.

All this time, I'm having a great time expounding on how much better the technology is with metrics. Then my cousin Glenn, gets an '02 Wide Glide, and I have a field day on him! Abuse, abuse, and more abuse. But I admired the bike. Keep in mind, at this point the abuse was friendly. But serious. God help me, I actually believed what I was saying.

Anyway, the abuse was fun, and he threw it back at me harder. Jap scrap - all that stuff.

Sad to say, my cousin failed to wake up in May of this year. No wife to nag him to go to the doctor was his real downfall. Smoked hard, didn't exercise, and most of all, didn't go to doctors. He had a massive heart attack and died in his sleep.

So, long story short, I knew how much he loved that bike and i didn't want to see it leave the family. And it didn't. Sits in my shed now, and I'm truly priviledged to ride it. And when I ride, Glenn does too.

So, how do I like the bike? It's got soul like no other. I guess I remember the AMF versions of Harley's with all their problems, so I was astounded at how much quality goes into these things. This bike is everything I liked about the old VLX 600 with none of the irritants, and a whole lot more. So glad to have the torque back. I'm much happier at safer, slower speeds. On my last bike, CB900 custom, I felt like I was bored unless I was going fast - not so the Harley. The handling is amazing, as is the quality. Never underestimate the view of your bike from the cockpit.

I've since ridden other makes, but they don't have that 'feeling'. This from a former died-in-the-wool metric maniac. No going back for me.

This thread was a good read and if I had to choose one reason why I bought a Harley it would have to be flexability. Looked and looked at alot of other bikes rice burners, Truimphs, BMW's, and Victories which all had similar if not more features than a Harley. All the comparisons become redundant but when compared to all the add on's there was more vendors with HD add on's than there were for the rest. So I ruled out features and when making the decision I decided that two wheels and a VTwin was good enough so I ended up with an '05 sporty which I rode for a year then since the wife started riding as the passenger I moved up to the Road King and can't get enough of it. I also enjoy all the add on's and maybe on day when I get tired of listening to the wind in my ear I'll break down and get some tunes.....

My first bike was a Yamaha 80 and I was 11 or 12. I rode it till the tires fell off...

I'm Union, I by American First. What was that saying ? If every one buys Imports where are our Kids gonna work??????????? And nothing else feels like a Harley.

Got a chevy Diesel in the driveway,got a ford diesel work rig,what else would I ride but a Harley. They just have personality!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a Harley (#4) for three reasons:

1) Its simply the best (edit) motorcycle there is;

2) The sound of the Harley Davidson 45 degree, single crank pin v-twin is music for the soul, second only (maybe...) to the Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp;

3) Refer to reason #1. Nuff said.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Owned several metric bikes during the course of my life. In all honesty, could not afford an HD. Got rid of my last bike (Honda) in 1985. Said than, that if I bought another bike it would be an HD (quality, reputation and patriotism). Fell into a deal I could not pass on - a 2005 Deuce. Only took 54 years. :newsmile108:

Back