free website stats program Who the hell is monitering this site | Page 13 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who the hell is monitering this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it very easy to show this forum respect by not using profanity or vulgarity because I was taught respect at a very young age by my parents.Dad wasn't exactly Ward Cleaver,but he got his point across.

When I was 21 I was told my a elderly gentleman that expressing oneself with vulgarity doesn't take a lot of brains. One of life's lessons will never forget and have tried to live by. I'm not trying to say I'm perfect by any means. I just try to control my emotions and the way I behave.

This is going to be a bit off topic, but someone mentioned that they've had a problem being told to "search" rather than being given the answer they were looking for (on other fora).

I occasionally post on/read a specialized car forum, and I have to admit, one of my pet peeves was someone writing in with a question that had been answered many, many, times. And yes, frequently the writer was admonished to use the search engine. And sometimes in a very brusque or even nasty way!

Now, I'm not in any way suggesting the questioner be flamed, or cursed out, for asking, but when we talk of respect for this or any other forum, I would argue that taking the time to at least try to find the answer before asking the gurus is showing a degree of respect for the time and knowledge of those experts. The internet and its fora have been around long enough for folks to have picked up a bit of what to me is "on line courtesy."

This is all just my opinion...I don't claim to be the Amy Vanderbilt (that gave my age away!) of the internet.

As to the main topic of this thread, I support the policy fully, even though I've been slapped a couple of times for slipping. This forum has been a great source of information and ideas, and none of the others I've been on can hold a candle to it.

iv been guilty of umm wrong doing here, seasond from other chat sites where you must be able to stand your ground with rude people and some things become a habit.
its a wonderful thing to come to such a peaceful place overflowing with questions , answers , info and few arguements.
i must admit i still reread before i press send just to make sure lol but its well worth the effort ;-) thanks

I occasionally post on/read a specialized car forum, and I have to admit, one of my pet peeves was someone writing in with a question that had been answered many, many, times. And yes, frequently the writer was admonished to use the search engine. And sometimes in a very brusque or even nasty way!

Now, I'm not in any way suggesting the questioner be flamed, or cursed out, for asking, but when we talk of respect for this or any other forum, I would argue that taking the time to at least try to find the answer before asking the gurus is showing a degree of respect for the time and knowledge of those experts. The internet and its fora have been around long enough for folks to have picked up a bit of what to me is "on line courtesy."

I find that a bit rude myself when new poster posts a question that is answered in length in the self help area or something that has been discussed many times too like you said. I feel it's because the poster is lazy and wants all their questions answered without looking for the answer.
I have no problem posting for the member to use the search feature but it should be done in a courteous way along with the answer also in the reply. I have had many a member PM me that just joined the site that had zero posts with a question and that I feel is very rude too. My other peeve is when someone posts a question on the site and then copy and pastes it in a PM to me. :newsmile055:

I have spent countless hours posting the info in the self help area to help out the members. All I ask is that you look in there before asking a question to see if it has been addressed in that area.

Also I would like to thank those that post links to this posts in this area when a question is asked. It's a great help to the poster and myself to have this done.

Thanks!

I wasn't going to get involved with this thread but after reading "Re: Hope this is NOT too dumb a question..." (there are NO dumb questions by the way), I decided to say thanks to all for being so helpful without the embarassing insults I have seen on other forums. It is not uncommon to ask a question on other forums and get a "USE THE SEARCH ENGINE!!!", or other totally useless answer or insult.

If you all didn't keep this forum the way you do, it would go downhill fast... again, thank you...

This is going to be a bit off topic, but someone mentioned that they've had a problem being told to "search" rather than being given the answer they were looking for (on other fora).

This is all just my opinion...I don't claim to be the Amy Vanderbilt (that gave my age away!) of the internet.

As to the main topic of this thread, I support the policy fully, even though I've been slapped a couple of times for slipping. This forum has been a great source of information and ideas, and none of the others I've been on can hold a candle to it.

I find that a bit rude myself when new poster posts a question that is answered in length in the self help area or something that has been discussed many times too like you said. I feel it's because the poster is lazy and wants all their questions answered without looking for the answer.
I have no problem posting for the member to use the search feature but it should be done in a courteous way along with the answer also in the reply. I have had many a member PM me that just joined the site that had zero posts with a question and that I feel is very rude too. My other peeve is when someone posts a question on the site and then copy and pastes it in a PM to me. :newsmile055:

I have spent countless hours posting the info in the self help area to help out the members. All I ask is that you look in there before asking a question to see if it has been addressed in that area.

Also I would like to thank those that post links to this posts in this area when a question is asked. It's a great help to the poster and myself to have this done.

Thanks!

Sorry... in my original post above, I was referring to the attitude, or tone of the "USE THE SEARCH ENGINE!!!",response I've seen on other forums, typically with an insult included. You folks are doing a great job, and the search function works very well...

I joined this forum to read from knowledgeable people what Harleys are all about. I have done that and plenty more. It's enjoyable to read a post and answers that make sense. Not trying to read around all the profanity and words that maybe at a Friday night poker game make sense, but no need for that here. The self help is books and mags all put into one place. My questions have been answered many times. Thanks for a nice, clean, enjoyable forum.

I'm newish here and spend time on many other forums. There are certain other forums I spend time reading because they're so bad and to be honest, I find it amusing - however, they're a waste of time if I want to post anything.

I totally agree with the forum rules here and the "if you don't like it, lump it" approach. As people have already said, there are many other places you can waste yours and other peoples time while offending others. I've even had the entire inner sanctum of one forum attack me as I expressed my displeasure after someone replied to my post about my Suzuki starting problem with 'sell it. buy another bike' (TBH I did, I bought a Harley!)

I totally agree with the 'No swearing policy' here. I'm not so sure about the view of swearing demonstrating a lack of vocabulary though...

As the great Stephen Fry said:

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just (EDIT) lunatic. Or they say, 'It's not necessary.' As if that should stop one doing it. Things not being necessary is what makes life interesting."

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Relax everyone....the man blurbed out a cuss word...bikers will be bikers! Having spent my youth in & around a biker bar owned by my father and 20 years in the military, I have heard far worse. We all get that those are house rules...noted, but cut the man a break, he didn't commit murder. With all that being said, I know, it's your house and you make the rules. Everyone push back the chair and take a deep breath...democracy requires a little patience from time to time....Hua! :p

Sorry. No breaks for anyone, at any time, for any reason. These are the rules. Follow them or leave. That is the way that the owners want it, and so it shall be. Any other course is a slippery slope toward the anarchy that exists on other sites.

There is a tremendous amount of value here, and part of that is the civility and mutual respect found here. Following the rules is the price to stay.

TQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back