free website stats program Who has Running Light on at "ALL" times | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who has Running Light on at "ALL" times

On all the time...I think all Military Bases ya gotta wear the reflective vest I know when i went to MCRD last year for a Vietnam Vet reunion we had to have our passenger wear them...My wife wears the Sweatshirt thats neon green that says"Can ya see me now"..lol

This cracks me up so I'll throw something out there that'll get me flamed for sure.

The majority in this thread are in agreement that the more lights, the better for safety reasons. However, quite a while back, I started a thread asking about headlight modulators for the exact same reason - safety and increased visibility. The majority in that thread thought modulators were not a good idea since they tend to irritate traffic both oncoming and ahead.

So, I ask you, what's the difference?

I think deep down this smacks of a Harley vs. Metric thing. Headlight modulators are just seen on way more metric bikes than Harleys so they are perceived as not being as cool as extra running lights.

Just my 2 cents worth!

This cracks me up so I'll throw something out there that'll get me flamed for sure.

The majority in this thread are in agreement that the more lights, the better for safety reasons. However, quite a while back, I started a thread asking about headlight modulators for the exact same reason - safety and increased visibility. The majority in that thread thought modulators were not a good idea since they tend to irritate traffic both oncoming and ahead.

So, I ask you, what's the difference?

I think deep down this smacks of a Harley vs. Metric thing. Headlight modulators are just seen on way more metric bikes than Harleys so they are perceived as not being as cool as extra running lights.

Just my 2 cents worth!

hey they can be noticed..and i would probably do it..i almost been hit too many times and oh yeah...I always hear ..I did not see ya..now i employ a pretty cool air horn that gets there attention..even the ppl on the phone will noticed...its a 139 bd Air Horn ..lol

I would think the disagreement would NOT be based on a "cool factor", or any comparison to a metric, and truthfully, I don't see that happening.

That said, I maintain that ANY improvement to viability that improves our safely while riding is something to be seriously considered, metric based or not!

Then how do you explain the dichotomy between attitudes towards two modifications to a bike which provide equal results - increased visibility. Everyone's all for the running lights or riding with the high beams on during daylight hours. It wasn't even 50/50 when discussing headlight modulators. I'll be 100% honest with you, I bought a headlight modulator when I bought my brake light flasher but I didn't install it after reading the lukewarm response it got on this forum. I'm having second thoughts with every post about an accident where someone didn't see the biker but peer pressure is a very tough thing to overcome.

Most of the mods I've done to my bikes have been for either safety or comfort; I got the Turn Signal/Brake light modulator to make them function as full time running lights for the safety issue. On all the time. You can't have too many lights on, ever. I even experimented with riding with high beams on all the time--never was flashed by any oncoming drivers but did notice once or twice where a driver did a second look and saw me as a result, most likely, of the high beams.

You can never have too many lights or Guardian Angels......

I don’t necessarily think it’s a “cool” thing, I think it’s a subconscious feeling of being safe. My specific case in point: When riding a metric, or even my old Sportster, I was always concerned about tangling with a cage on the road so always wore a helmet. Did not matter how short the trip was.

Now with my big twin I have a greatly increased sense of security, and now make short trips without wearing a helmet. Maybe I subconsciously think the sheer mass and lights of the bike makes me more visible, maybe it’s the badboy feeling that cagers won’t mess with me. Thankfully my wife overrides my delusional behavior and nags me to put the helmet on.

On my Road King they are called "Passing Lights". It seems stupid to me because to turn them on for passing you need to flip a switch on the right hand side. That hand is busy then. I just leave them on all the time, I figure the more light I have the better I will be seen. When I turn on the high beams they go off. I wish they would stay on then, they light the sides of the road better so I can spot the deer easier.

I had to install them on my FLST and I put the switch on the left side, just doesn't make any sense to have it on the right and call them passing lamps. Anyway, I want all lights on at all times, just my preference for safety reasons.

Back