free website stats program Whats the best Horn for FLHTCU | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Whats the best Horn for FLHTCU

Loud horns are good, but just remember they are NO substitute for good tactics and driving execution. The reaction time to decide to use the horn vs planning and executing an evasive maneuver is about the same, but in one case you are already working on a tactic, instead of waiting for the "other guy"...just saying!

The Mini Beast II. It is self-contained and it is available in the same style as your air breather. It looks great and it is loud...it may cost more but you get what you pay for.

Loud horns are good, but just remember they are NO substitute for good tactics and driving execution. The reaction time to decide to use the horn vs planning and executing an evasive maneuver is about the same, but in one case you are already working on a tactic, instead of waiting for the "other guy"...just saying!

My horn use usually comes after my evasive maneuver is done. My use of the horn at that point is to punctuate their maneuver. :s

The above advice is 100% accurate. Also ride as if you are invisible!! Because you can only control what you are doing!! If purchasing a louder horn gives peace of mind then go for it. Remember stupid is as stupid does and most instances the cager is on the cell phone or texting, painting thier nails or eating MacDonalds so the louder horn may not even phase them.

There have been two times that I used my horn, both times it were accidentally used as I was going to put my left signal on to change lanes. Scared the snow out of me. Two times I went to use as someone was coming into my lane, and I managed to put the turn signal on.
Just thought I would put that in.
From what I have seen, you can never go wrong with an air horn.
Sounds like Murphy is alive and well in your neck of the woods. :small3d031:

Two times I went to use as someone was coming into my lane, and I managed to put the turn signal on.

Exactly my problem also. If I was young, I would develop or build something like grip sensors that you can SQUEEZE to activate the horn. For me, that would be great because I can not master finding the right button and pushing it fast enough.

I am surprise the metric side of the world hasn't come out with something better than just a "button" for the horn.

I've been using an air horn for years. Lately, mine has started sounding not as loud. Not sure if it's the horn... or my old ears. :)

Just put Wolo Bad Boy air horn in the stock location. Not waterproof, but for 39.95 at Harbor Freight I dont care. About 118 DB
I can attest to BigMike, I work with him and his horn is loud! The price is right but the part about not being waterproof might prevent some people from buying it.

Exactly my problem also. If I was young, I would develop or build something like grip sensors that you can SQUEEZE to activate the horn. For me, that would be great because I can not master finding the right button and pushing it fast enough.

I am surprise the metric side of the world hasn't come out with something better than just a "button" for the horn.

I agree with both of you guys. Who wants to not be able to find the horn when you absolutely need to lay on the horn by hitting the turn signals instead? How effective is that!! I have done exactly as they have mentioned. Then, having foolishly hitting my turn signals instead of my horn, I would for the next mile or so practice getting my thumb exactly where it is supposed to be until it becomes almost a natural reflex, for the next time I need it. Trouble is, I don't really use my horn all that much so I once again loose that muscle memory of where the dang horn is supposed to be!:p It is those panic situations when I really need the horn to blast, that I have hit the turn signal and not when I have time to look down and make sure that I am positioned on the horn button so I can gently ( o.k. loudly) nudge the daydreaming cager in front of me that the light has turned green!! :D

I thought about getting a louder horn a while ago. I can think of situations where it would be nice, but in an evasive manuver, I am with the others: I can't find it fast enough and then I have used up some valuable time.

If I still had quiet pipes I would go with an air horn. But once I put on louder pipes, I figuered if they can't here me now, they aren't going to hear the horn.

Plus, some people you just can't reach: Yesterday I was in the cage and a woman was driving at about 70mph with a flat rear tire. Tire was just about to start comming apart. She just kept on going. I watched for a little bit, then accelerated up to her. I was laying on the horn, literally hanging out the window, waving my left hand and screaming. We when on for about a 1/4 mile before she noticed me.....

There was an article in today's local paper about a loud horn/audio contest last weekend. They talked about the winners "train horn", and how folks had to put fingers in ears when he blasted it. They said they used a computer decibel program to measure the volume. The winning horn recorded 119 db. That is a whole lot less than all the claims I see horn mfgs. making. The winning car audio came in at 160 db.

Back