free website stats program Whats the best Horn for FLHTCU | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Whats the best Horn for FLHTCU

the claimed db's for horns are all very exagerated....probably measured very close and in ideal conditions. I have seen objective tests of horns claiming the 118-120's that really produce more like high 80's through high 90's. still loud but certainly not the multiples louder that 110 and above would be. (110 would be 100 times louder than 90 would it not due to the logarithmic scale of db?)

IMAO you're kidding yourself if you think an air horn will help you in a situation requiring fast evasive action. Forget the horn and ride the bike out of danger. Use the horn to make your displeasure known after you and the bike are safe.

I had an air horn on my old Road King and was quite proud of it until the day I spotted my girlfriend, (now wife but that's another story) in her car in traffic. Rode up beside her and blasted the horn. Inside, windows up and jammin to her favorite tunes, she never heard me from 3 feet away.

Modern cars with sound proofing and stereo systems are horn proof. Save your money for pipes and speed mods. Just my disillusioned opinion...

Last edited by a moderator:
IMAO you're kidding yourself if you think an air horn will help you in a situation requiring fast evasive action. Forget the horn and ride the bike out of danger. Use the horn to make your displeasure known after you and the bike are safe.

I had an air horn on my old Road King and was quite proud of it until the day I spotted my girlfriend, (now wife but that's another story) in her car in traffic. Rode up beside her and blasted the horn. Inside, windows up and jammin to her favorite tunes, she never heard me from 3 feet away.

Modern cars with sound proofing and stereo systems are horn proof. Save your money for pipes and speed mods. Just my disillusioned opinion...

+1 Right on. Agree with you 100% You ride like your invisible....

Nothing disillusional about that Merlynn! You hit the nail on the head. I can tell you first hand that when I am in my car and the stereo is cranking, sometimes I can't hear an ambulance coming towards me with the sirens blaring.
And then I imagine when I am on my bike if others are doing likewise and they can't hear me. I'd rather depend on "riding like I'm invisible" than having to lay on the horn in an emergency situation.

I am looking for advice on getting a much louder horn for my bike (1991 Electra Glide Ultra Classic) between my pipes and the regular noise of traffic my stock horn is hardly noticeable! I really want to be heard when it comes time for me to let someone know they are about to pull out in front of me which seems to happen more when I ride than when I drive my pick up.
are ther any good regular electric horns out there or should I go with an air horn, The latter seems to me to be the best way to go. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bob ( bbold1)

I installed a two trumpet air horn on my '05 Heritage. It's about 130 db give or take. It was easy to install and came with everything you need except wire and terminals. Instructions were very easy to understand and had standard install pictures. It uses the original horn mount on your bike and the original horn cover. You add a bracket and a relay. I've got pics if you want them, just contact me with your email. I got it from Howards Horns. System won't let me put the link in. The kit and shipping and two trumpet covers came to $200 and change. Shipped right away and I had it in a matter of a few days.

Try Howard's Horns Home Page, motorcycle air horns, battery cables.

Back