free website stats program What should I do first to my Sportster? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

What should I do first to my Sportster?

What should I do first to my new Sportster XL883?

• Saddlebags

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Windshield

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • SE Mufflers

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Kidding, Ride The Thing..most People Talk About Buying A Harley Their Entire Life And Never Do..you Own The American Dream, Buy What You Can Afford. Fix What You Break.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of putting forward controls on my '05 XL883L.Anyone done this and how did you like the results?

I put forward controls on my 04 883. I love them -- and as an added benefit, you no longer have to drop the peg mount to remove the derby cover ! :D

Thanks for the link.

I checked it out with great interest. Under the Sportster, there are two options for the 2007 Sporty, one for standard model and the other for high compression model.
I was not even aware that there were these different specs.
Which model is the high compression, or how can you tell?

Keep up the good work.

I think you will find that all Sportsters in the North American Market are of the "Low Compression" type. The XR1200, marketed only in Europe (damn!) has the higher compression.

Just for good measure, check with your dealer to make sure.

I think you will find that all Sportsters in the North American Market are of the "Low Compression" type. The XR1200, marketed only in Europe (damn!) has the higher compression.

Thanks for the info.
I spoke to my local dealer and, as far as they know, (which didn't seem much) there were some XR models in the past that had higher compression, but apart from modified models, the XL models are all low compression.

I seem to recall that there was a "standard" 2 spark plug head and a "hi-performance" 4 spark plug head...I think Hobbit brought it up on another thread, and reminded me that I saw one on the HD showroom awhile back. :newsmile093:

Maybe Glider..."the Great One" can shed some light on this! :s

The first upgrade should always be a performance upgrade. Rejet the carb, install high flow air cleaner, better sounding pipes (Screaming Eagle or even better-Vance and Hines).

The first upgrade should always be a performance upgrade. Rejet the carb, install high flow air cleaner, better sounding pipes (Screaming Eagle or even better-Vance and Hines).

Yep, Stage I if memory serves adds about 10-20 HP at fairly modest cost, with no ill affects to an EPA strangled bike...!

Welcome to the HD "taxing" world we live in...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back