free website stats program What should I do first to my Sportster? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

What should I do first to my Sportster?

What should I do first to my new Sportster XL883?

• Saddlebags

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Windshield

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • SE Mufflers

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved up to my husband's 2005 883L (from my little Honda Rebel)and the first thing I did was put on a "reduced effort" clutch.HD doesn't make an easy clutch for the Sporty,but my mechanic put on an after market clutch which makes a HUGE difference. Next I put on a windshield - another great investment especially on long rides.Since the bike already had a passenger seat with a sissy bar, I use the sissy bar bag on the passenger seat and that works fine for me .For now that's all I need. My hand doesn't cramp up from that original clutch, I don't get as cold or buggy and I have a place for my stuff. My four year old grandson says I'm "very cool"LOL.

Hi Mrs2cool. I Also Have A 2005 883l. I Have Wondered About The Clutch Also. Do You Happen To Know Where It Came From Or Who Makes It. I Have Small Hands To Make Matters Worse.

Sporty Lady, The description on the work order is a "CCE CLUTCHLITE(X-SO)"
Don't know who makes it,but your mechanic could probably find out. I have small hands and arthritis and the new clutch made a big difference.

I am also a new sporty owner a 2008 XL883 that I just love but have to say I added the windshield first. Especially when the bird came diving at my chest!!!

Big Dot got it right, go ride the bike first and you may find that if you ride long distances you may need just have the foot and hand controls adjusted for maximum comfort, then look at things that will make you or your mate want to ride even more. The Sportster is a rather minimalist design, made to be customized as the individual rider wants...there are tons of stuff to make it personal. Yes, some people said that it is a "ladies" bike, but it is also for people who are 135 lbs and 5 1/2 feet tall who do not want to haul around 800 lbs of bike (or heaven forbid...drop one)! Ride safe and ride true to your brothers (and sisters).

The best thing to do to a Sportster, or any good bike is to fill the tank and ride it.
Apart from that, if you carry passengers for more than a few miles on a Sportster, an alternative saddle might be handy.

Would it be possible to replace the high gas tank on my '05 883L with the low gas tank available on the NEW 883L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back